Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Voetter, Die Münzen der Römischen Kaiser, Kaiserinnen...  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Otto Voetter, Die Münzen der Römischen Kaiser, Kaiserinnen und Caesaren von Diocletianus bis Romulus, 1921

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy this book? It could be a reprint, photocopy, electronic copy etc. I appreciate every advice.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Voetter, Die Münzen der Römischen Kaiser, Kaiserinnen...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:39:41 pm »
It can be acquired from time to time on the secondhand market.
Curtis Clay

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:47:18 pm »
Thanks, Curtis. The book is old enough to have no copyright, so I thought that maybe someone copied it or scaned (like Cohen).
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 08:30:50 pm »
Can you let me know if you find a copy?  I acquired a coin for which I can only find a reference in a note of RIC, which says the type was listed in that catalogue...and in a pencil note of Voetter's catalogue of Vienna...

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 08:59:54 pm »
      Actually, a reprint was done many years ago, but it too is long out of print and only available secondhand.
      I have a copy of the original edition, Vienna 1921, acquired from the dispersal of Pierre Bastien's library in a 1996 Kolbe sale.
      Harlan's copy, acquired about five years later, states on the cover that it was photographically reprinted by Fotodruckerei Klaus Jansen, Cologne, Germany, no date stated.  However it was before 9:22 AM on 23 Feb. 1960, when a previous owner received this copy in Newport Beach, CA, according to a stamp on the back cover!
      Before acquiring Bastien's copy, I had bid unsuccessfully for a number of other copies of the work that were said to be bound photocopies of the original edition.  Until now it had been unclear to me whether these missed copies were really reprints, or rather the original edition which had just been produced photographically, perhaps from a typescript.  Lech's question has caused me to compare my copy and Harlan's closely for the first time, and so to discover that a photographic reprint of the work was indeed produced at some uncertain time before Feb. 1960!
      Anyway, I would be happy to look up something in Voetter for Varangian!
Curtis Clay

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 09:46:51 pm »
Thanks, Curtis!  I'm away from my notes and photo gallery, but I'll IM you when I get the info. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity