Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coinage in Roman Egypt: The Hoard Evidence  (Read 1137 times)

virtvsprobi

Coinage in Roman Egypt: The Hoard Evidence
« on: April 26, 2005, 01:39:53 am »
Coinage in Roman Egypt: The Hoard Evidence by Erik Christiansen

Has anyone here bought/seen this yet? I'm interested in obtaining it, but would like to hear opinions about it first.

Cheers,

G/<

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
Re: Coinage in Roman Egypt: The Hoard Evidence
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:47:22 pm »
Hello,

I've thought of picking up the book also.   I saw it listed on the David Brown Book Company and it stated:

Coinage in Roman Egypt: The Hoard Evidence
by Erik Christiansen
In this volume, Erik Christiansen uses Alexandrian coin hoards to explore the use of money in Egypt from its conquest by Augustus in 30 BC to Diocletian's currency reform in AD 296. Although these finds, with their wide array of Graeco-Roman and Alexandrian reverses, have traditionally been classified as a part of Greek coinage, he demonstrates clearly that they belong to the Roman imperial coinage. The hoards also show that Roman Egypt enjoyed a widespread monetized economy, in addition to the credit system described in extant papyri. The relative abundance of such documents provides Christiansen with a good supplemental source of information for his conclusions. And since financial administration is known to have been quite uniform throughout the empire, this book provides a useful window on not only Rome's shifting economic fortunes but also monetary policy in other provinces, which did not leave behind the rich heritage of coins and documents that Egypt did. 256p, illus. (Aarhus UP)

ISBN 8772889640. Paperback. Publishers price US $29.95, DBBC Price US $24.00

virtvsprobi

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 01:19:38 am »
Ah, at such a price one might as well buy it without a need for opinions! :)

I've been looking for Egyptian hoard info for some time, and this book seems like an answer to my prayers.

Thanks, Kevin.

G/<

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 02:17:18 pm »
If you do purchase it, please give us a review of what you think of the book.

Thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity