Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Solution for foreign character set keywords? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Solution for foreign character set keywords?  (Read 2160 times)
virtvsprobi
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:22:19 am »

I'm having somewhat of a problem in that I want people who use non-Latin character sets to find my site, but there is no good way to add non-Latin keywords to the main page.
Or so it seems to me. As a test case, if I use UTF-8 for the Cyrillic character set and everything else, people who search within the parameters of charset=windows-1251 won't find the page. And that's just one encoding for Cyrillic. I really abhor to think that the only solution is to make a gateway page for each encoding. Not only is that inelegant, but some search engines hate gateway pages.

I wish everyone just gets with the program and starts using Unicode, pronto.

Comments? Ideas?

G/<
esnible
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 05:18:51 pm »

My web pages are all in ASCII or Latin-1 but I often use Greek and Hebrew characters.  I do this by using the Unicode code points, so Greek 'alpha' is "&913;".

You can get the code points from various web sites; I use Alan Wood's pages.  His Greek page is http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/greek.html .
virtvsprobi
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 06:49:50 pm »

Thanks Ed, this indeed resolved my problem and Google even indexed the updated page in 2 days.
Now I can find my site in Google.ru or just by typing Cyrillic into regular Google.

I have also found a great utility for converting Cyrillic text into Unicode code points, so my job is even easier.

спасибо! (spasibo!)

G/<
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Webmasters (Moderator: Sorin Teodor)  |  Topic: Solution for foreign character set keywords? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop