Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted in RIC for Officina  (Read 1286 times)

Massanutten

Unlisted in RIC for Officina
« on: April 16, 2005, 08:30:14 pm »
  Before I post this in the Gallery I would appreciate Forum members confirmation.  The flan is a little small compared to what Sear (3232) has listed for the coin (18 mm), but I feel confident after seeing Gert's Gallery example listed as an Ae4 of same issue with officina  :Greek_epsilon:.
 This coin is Constantine's memorial issue for Claudius Gothicus, Thessolinca RIC VII, 26 with officina B (unlisted).
Obv: DIVO CLAVDIO OPTIMO IMP
Laureate and draped bust, right.
Rev: REQVIES OPTIMOR MERITORVM
Divus Claudius seated left on curule chair.
1.6 gm, 12.1 mm, Mintmark: •TS•B•
Thanks and best regards, Bob

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Unlisted in RIC for Officina
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 05:26:37 am »
I fail to see the T in the mintmark; I read: dot SB dot! Could that be Sirmium 2nd?

Frans

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:08:34 am »
Confirmed. Your coin is unlisted RIC VII THESSALONICA 26 officina B - but already on my NOT IN RIC page. See: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notinric/7the26.html
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Massanutten

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 10:37:31 am »
  Thanks, Lech.  If the bidding had gone just fifty cents higher it would have been on its way to Warsaw ::)
   Hi Frans!  The problem is with my scanner. That first dot that you see is actually the T which is seen better with a magnifying glass than I presented here.  In any case, Sirmium was mostly producing coinage in gold and silver.  The only base metal coinage produced  there would have been too late for this issue!
Thanks again guys, Bob

All coins are guaranteed for eternity