Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mules or horses?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
Mules or horses?
« on: April 14, 2005, 07:58:14 am »
AE31, Ephesus in Ionia, Valerian, BMC 369var (reverse legend)

AVT K ΠO ΛIKIN BAΛEPIANOC, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right TRIC NEΩKO_PΩ_N, Carpentum drawn by two mules right, EΦECIΩN in exergue.

The seller said mules, and I don't have the BMC Ionia volume to see if it says so too. I know that mules are traditional for a carpentum, but if I didn't know that I'd call these horses and never give it another thought.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Mules or horses?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:07:22 pm »
Hi Ed!

I think the animals on the coin are not horses but mules. Looking at the shape you can't decide it but the big difference between horses and mules is their behaviour:

A mule won't intentionally harm himself. This refers to the fact that the flight instinct does not take over as strongly as it does in the Horse. When a horse gets in a tangled situation, such as wrapping his legs around barbed wire, it could be extremely dangerous to them. Most horses have a tendency to react with panic and try to fight their way out. A mule will usually not let that fear take over. He can switch over to a logic mode and figure out a solution, rather than immediately trying to fight his way out.

So Napoleon didn't ride by a white horse over the Alpes mountains to Italy as painted by David in his famous picture but on a mule! And all armies in the worlds took mules for transportation purposes and not horses!

Mules can stand the heat and cold better than the Horse. True. Cowboys in Brazil and other South American countries prefer a mule over a horse because it handles the heat better. Plantation owners in the south choose mules over horses for their ability to stand up under intense heat and a long season. lf the weather is unbearably hot, the mule slows his pace and no amount of prodding will hurry him.

The mule has far fewer medical ailments compared to the horse. True. The mule is definitely hardier and is not as prone to the wide array of horse problems. He may suffer lameness, colic, cold and disease, but some of the advanced horse ailments seem to bypass the mule. It is not known if the mule does not suffer from intricate pain or just lacks the sensitivity to feel this pain.

Citation from Attar, Cynthia: The mule companion : a guide to understanding the mule. -- 3. ed. -- Portland, OR : Partner Communications, 1998 (©1993). -- ISBN 0965177610.

A mule is much stronger than a horse. It is able to carry threetimes the load of a horse! So horses are used for riding, and mules as workhorses!

Regards

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 07:45:58 pm »
Thanks for the mule info!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:44:57 pm »
Somewhere, and perhaps more than once, I have read that those carts (carpenta) were drawn by mules, anyway; quite possibly in describing the coin that fact (very likely copied out) was simply repeated.  I do not doubt, however, their being mules or assesPatricia Lawrence

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 02:19:04 am »

There is another question, related with the carriage. Do you notice that  the  wheels violate the perspective?
I doubt  that it is the  engraver's  error who seems to be rather skillful. It may have a certain intention to depict the speed. If it is the case, then the ``theory  of mules" may fail.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:49:45 am »
Hi Numerianus!

Your suggestion the position oft the wheels should be the depiction of speed - like in a comic -is interesting, especially for me as a passionate comic collector. But I think it is wrong. First I have never heard or seen that the Romans have depicted speed, and second I think that the wheels under the car have different distances. So the wheels at the back are closer than the wheels at the front. Therefore the front wheel overlapps the back wheel.
I have never seen such car in reality, so it is a suggestion only too!

Best regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:13:29 am »
It may be misleading to think of optical foreshortening (of solids) and perspective (foreshortened space) at all.  Notice that the dray animals are not so related to the cart as to be properly hitched.  They seldom are.  There are many such departures from optical representation.  I don't think the engraver (and the persons who employed him) were thinking of the scene as those of us raised with zillions of photographs (and comic strips that usually themselves are conditioned by photography, and linear or camera obscura perspective drawing and painting before it) cannot help but think of it.  I sometimes think that it is a miracle that some Greco-Roman, Chinese, and Renaissance artists (not all of them) came up with the idea of making art out of how our vision works.  Worldwide it is a minority report.  Pat L.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:46:18 am »
Ok, no doubt that these are mules.

After a quick comparison with other coins showing a carpentum however, I would concur with Ed that on this coin they look more like horses. Here these animals have their heads well up, their necks quite vertical while mules are depicted with  heads going ahead (I think to give the sense of the effort) and no apparent (or very little) manes is visible. Also, on Ed's coin (but another of Philip II at Ephesus mint as well), one animals' foreleg is raised up as it happens during modern equestrian games involving horses. None of the mules I've seen depicted have this posture. 
Just my two cents worth.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:32:35 pm »
The problem with perspectives was discussed in a thread  on the curule chair.
The knowledgeable persons explained that Roman had several types of perspectives.
roughly speaking,  the object was depicted as being viewed from several points.
Of course, the ancients Greeks  how to  show dynamics (there so many examples on Greek
vases with a consecutive phases of movements).   

The idea why the carpentum is depicted on this particular coin requires an explanation. I checked
sources. The carpentum could be droven horses and  even by elephants and it purpose evolved
from century to century. Some quates are given below as well as a cople of examples.
The coins is very interesting and merits a deeper study.

"The early Romans (500BC) were not great masters in the art of carriage building, and the earliest was the PLAUSTRUM. It's solid pair of wheels did not rotate to the axis, but were solidly attached to it. Naturally, this produced an awful creaking from the agricultural loads, as also in the towns.

The Roman Empire was adept in the pirating of designs of the subjucated and conquered lands.

The first improvement of the Plaustrum was a pair of spoked wheels and this formed the possibility of a 4-wheeled carriage. The title was the CARPENTUM, a 2-wheeled pair, but a 4-wheeled carriage was only to be used by the Emperor.

The PILENTRUM originally was a sacred vehicle. It was an improved version of the Plaustrum. Later, the same vehicle was used by the Vestal Virgins and by the older ladies in the festival processions.

Certain rights for special women to travel by carriage were later abolished by Caesar.

Men did not ride in carriages, or only when granted in the most exceptional cases. Later, the use of the chariot was apparently quite commonplace and those entitled exercised  their rights to the fullest extent."

"The ritual carpentum of pagan Rome was ornate, slow-moving, and patently meant to invest the occupant with dignity."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity