Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Toronto Group  (Read 29913 times)

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
  • I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
Ever-changing Ebay
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2004, 03:05:17 pm »

Back in December there were 2 sellers of fake Greek and Roman coins which popular opinion deemed Toronto Group Fakes.  Both sellers were of Canadian registry.  

Bricklayeranc started his ID in October of 2003, and ran 3 sales of these coins, 1 per month for October, November and December, all 1 day private auctions.

power_of_love had a prior ID for 2 years...January 2002 until December 2003. Right after changing ID's he had one sale of these coins, running concurrently in December with bricklayeranc.

I periodically check back on these ID's to see if new sales are forthcoming.  My last check showed that power_of_love was no longer a registered user.  Today I searched further and found that the user was suspended.  It seems Bricklayer has been suspended as well.

I am used to seeing a new dealer pop up, sell his coins, then quit. Brick had a good run of 3 months, and fortunately it looks like Ebay caught up with the fraud. Seems like the same happened to power.  One disturbing thing is that you need a new ID to start a new account with Ebay, especially if you have been booted.  It looks like power_of_love may have been recruited to do some sales by whoever is still running the Toronto Group, unknowingly perhaps to the origin of the coins. Why have a clean 2 year record then do this out of the blue?

At any rate, as you are surfing Ebay, keep your eyes open for the new users or users with changed ID's, so far Canadian, selling these coins. As always, when found, the coins will be posted to the Fakes Board.

Peter

HAM & EGGS-a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.  
The only difference between a rut & a grave is the depth

sgtreid

Re:Ever-changing Ebay
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2004, 10:42:04 am »
How are Canadian anti-counterfitting laws?

canadian_boy

Re:Ever-changing Ebay
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2004, 11:55:34 am »
Laws in Canada are sufficient, the PROBLEM is getting the police to realize the seriousness of the crime that the Toronto asian counterfiitters are perpetrating.  For some reason, Toronto police don't consider this gang to be a major problem - they consider this to be 'white collar crime' , hence minimum resouces are dedicated.  They have made some arrests in the past but this group of asian gangsters is very adaptable.  Ebay has been VERY responsive whenever this gang of jerks rears their heads! We simply have to be vigilante.  It is unfortunate that all Canadian dealers / sellers are being hurt because of these schiesters!!!!!! >:(

dennisp

A lot of favorites are back as kingofcoin4
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2004, 12:15:41 pm »
A lot of Toronto favorites are back with a new alias, kingofcoin4.  I have downloaded all the images, and I will add them to my website later.  I have an exam to study for right now.

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
Another Toronto Group Sale
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 11:46:46 am »
This time he is jupiterswrath on UK ebay.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
Re:Another Toronto Group Sale
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2004, 08:05:36 pm »

I haven't been lurking about much the past two weeks due to business on the homestead, but I checked out the Ebay site, unfortunately a little too late. There were only a few hours left in the sale, and he/she/they had 3 pages of coins.  Couldn't grab them for the fakes boards in time, but I saw a bunch of our old favorites in there.

Sadly they will be back again, and I'll try to get the images then. Keep posting the "heads up" when you see them!  >:(

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 03:29:37 pm »

dennisp....when time permits, I would like permission to raid your page for additional entries for Forvm's fake board. Please let me know.

Peter

dennisp

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 07:34:20 pm »
Copy whatever pictures you want.

I can moved the 50+ Photoshop (.psd) format image files to my website.  These average about 1.4 MB in size.  I have plenty of space on my website.

The advantage of .psd files is that each picture is individually extractable and resizeable.

dennisp

The Toronto Group is back again!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2004, 11:57:04 am »
The Toronto Group has reappeared as  cointemplar.  Once again, there were almost endless fakes for me to download.  These are mostly the same old recycled cast fakes, but this time there do appear to be a couple of coins that were struck.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Re:The Toronto Group is back again!
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2004, 06:10:46 pm »
hmmm... they're registered in the UK, but the item's in California. Definetly a change in pattern.

Evan :-\

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
Re:The Toronto Group is back again!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2004, 03:58:29 pm »

I hate these 1 day auctions.  Just went to go see what was up for sale with an eye towards updating the Fakes Board, and "poof", he's already gone!

Arles

Toronto Group Again
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2004, 12:09:49 am »
This time as bricksoftime .

dennisp

It's HVAROTC as BRICKSOFTIME
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2004, 02:19:00 am »
Here is the Toronto group again as bricksoftime.  A lot of familiar fakes, some new fakes, and one stamp.  Once again, my fingers got a lot of exercise downloading all this stuff.

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
Re:It's HVAROTC as BRICKSOFTIME
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2004, 08:31:59 pm »

GOT IT!!  Just happened to see your post at work. In the middle of a wedding no less. Got to it with 46 minutes left, and got them all. Will post to the fakes board on Monday and Tuesday.

Thank you for the heads up!!!    ;D

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
Re:Toronto Group Again
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2004, 11:45:58 am »
Latest incarnation appears to be sesterdenar.  New wrinkle tho', actually selling some legitimate items and some fakes mixed in.  Funny thing is, for example, on his fake Pertinax denarius he provides the following admonishment:  Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.   Only 10 and a half hours left!
May be seen at:

(Link no longer valid. Removed by Administrator)

bruce61813

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2004, 11:48:18 am »

sesterdenar warning was just posted elsewhere also. So another
name for the list. With only 10 hours, we had better get our bids in!  ;D

bruce

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2004, 12:00:19 pm »
I don't believe it!  Is he trying to go straight?  He does have fakes that require preapproval to enter a bid but there are genuine coins (doesn't require approval) AND he is dumping a lot of fakes sold as fake!  See below:

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2004, 12:34:05 pm »
He can be recognized by the private bidding, two days to pay, preapproval for bidding required, and the same fakes from his many previous seller's names.  Usually has a few positive feedbacks from cheap stamp sales.  This guy is not mysterious!

Offline TLP

• Praetorian
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2004, 12:42:08 pm »
Found this today, and I thought it was interesting...
1 day auctions and privite feedback - babylonian92

ember

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
Hi,

Ebay pulled his auctions already.  Maybe they are catching on?

Offline Bluefish

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Consul
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2004, 06:48:31 pm »

Got a heads up in a private message from whitetd about this, but when I went to search I found the user no longer registered.  I then read this post, and all I can say is

OUTSTANDING!!

canadian_boy

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2004, 04:00:43 pm »
Congrats to everyone here for their quick action in exposing babylonian92 and sesterdenar for their fake coins on ebay.  Both were gone very quickly - this site is playing a great role in exposing fraud artists like this!!

millimoo

English Toronto Group Seller?
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2004, 02:11:40 am »
Just noticed antiquedealsell on e-bay, all the usual stuff, 24 hour, private, freedback based on some Canada 50 cents $1 sales. 

Toronto?

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re:English Toronto Group Seller?
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2004, 04:56:32 am »
If you notice all the original sales are based out of BC, Canada. They are selling in US $ and shipping to the US / Canada is $2 but shipping beyond that is $5 event though they are supposed to be based in the UK. They are just trying to make it appear from a superficial basis as though they are based in the UK since some people are starting to look out for some of the Canadian based sellers.
Martin

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Toronto Group
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2004, 11:56:20 am »
Post updates and the latest on the Toronto Group here.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity