Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is it Pergamon?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Is it Pergamon?
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:55:37 pm »
The second coin in a 2-coin lot.  Do I really read Pergamenon?  This is a period and grade of Pergamene coinage that doesn't get much attention.
Is that wretched little figure really Asklepios?
Æ18  3.16g  axis 5:30h  Septimius, laureate, head to r.  [traces}  ]  SEBHROS.  Rev., probably Asklepios stg. frontal, head to l., leaning on snake staff under his r. arm, half draped with end over his l. shoulder.  Evidently, PERGA    MHNWN (and possibly one more character).  One of two in a lot of two listed simply as Lydia and Phrygia.  The other is Saitta (Lydia), but this one seems to be Pergamon.
Patricia Lawrence

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:Is it Pergamon?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 08:17:01 am »
Pat,

does it look like this one?

MYSIEN PERGAMON
d=19 mm
Septimius Severus, 193 - 211. Bronze. Kopf mit L. n. r. Rv. PîRGA - MHNWN B Asklepios im Himation frontal stehend, Kopf n. l., mit der Rechten den Schlangenstab haltend. 3,90 g. SNG BN Paris 2203. Voegtli, FvP 33, 393.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re:Is it Pergamon?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 11:50:37 am »
Indeed, senza dubbio.  Only the one that was sold very cheap in an unmentionable venue looks much worse.  Thank you.  Pat

All coins are guaranteed for eternity