Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Newbie 12 Caesar's question  (Read 1692 times)

Paul Adkins

Newbie 12 Caesar's question
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:22:24 pm »
I am reading a book about the "12 Caesar's" and I think this is the area I want to focus. Other than looking for coins with the names of the gentleman, what other key words should I be searching? I am not even sure this is a good question.

Paul

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Newbie 12 Caesar's question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 06:59:12 pm »
Hi Paul!

The standard work is Sueton, Vita Caesarum!

Best regards

Offline Rhetor

• Consul
  • Tolle! Lege!
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:18:09 pm »
Yes, more commonly found as THE LIVES OF THE TWELVE CAESARS, by Suetonius.  

Some useful search strings might be the respective "houses" of the emperors, such as "The reigns of the emperors Vespasian (r. 69–79 A.D.), Titus (r. 79–81 A.D.), and Domitian (r. 81–96 A.D.) comprised the Flavian dynasty."  The Julio-Claudians, etc.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:04:19 pm »
Philo and Josephus both have useful things to say about Caligula, and Josephus is worth reading on Vespasian and Titus' campaigns in Judea before they became emperors.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Paul Adkins

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 01:21:07 pm »
Thanks Gentlemen! I know I can count on you guys helping me out. Thanks!

Paul

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 04:21:51 pm »
Just be warned: If you say "I want The Twelve Caesars", it's much the same as if you say "I want Sicilian silver", I mean: if you want them in good condition, be prepared to bleed (financially). These well-known, loved or hated, personalities are something that a great many collectors are on the search for; and as most of their coins circulated for many decades, finding a Tiberius as isn't hard, but finding a really good one sure is, and paying for it even harder. Not to speak of Galba, Otho, Vitellius, or denarii of Julius Caesar, Caligula and Claudius (still nasty gaps in my collection after 30 years - well, on the other hand I'm not focused on them).

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity