Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Insubres  (Read 2453 times)

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
Insubres
« on: September 21, 2005, 05:31:25 pm »
Hi
Can anyone suggest an online source of informations about the coins of the Insubres, or in general on the celtic coins of Northern Italy?
best regards

Plinius
...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline frederic

• Consul
Re: Insubres
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:21:49 pm »

Offline PLINIUS

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 02:58:19 pm »
Thanx Frederic

surfin' tonight I've found an excellent site in italian
http://www.moneteantiche.org/

This is the reason for my interest in insubric coinage, Pautasso 19, 3,2 gr.

...et iam summa procul villarum culmina fumant, maioresque cadunt altis de montibus umbrae.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:50:44 pm »
I don't speak a word of Italian, but if you think the site's suitable for a Numismatic Excellence award, please do send me a PM.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline frederic

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 03:21:18 pm »
hi, Plinius
Your drachm is very nice, congratulation.

Studies on celtic coins in France has progressed since few years.
In past, we thought that each celtic tribe has a coinage.
But it's probably wrong because :
   1- The celtic or ligure tribe in France were unknown before Iulius Caesar. And a lot of coins was produced before Iulus Caesar. And lot of tribe have moved betwen the II and I century BC.
   2- The mints of celtic and ligure coinage were often unknown.
   3- We know a few example of same coins produced in different mints owned by different tribes (potin)

In conclusion, french searchers link coinage with a region and not with a tribe.They think it's the same analyse for the celtic tribe in hispania, italia, germania or britannica.

For instance, your coin is an imitation of drachm of Massalia. Nobody knows where was the mint. The different coins were found : Latium, Ligurie, Lombardie, Piemont, Val d'AOSTE, Veneto, Switzerland (Bernes, Grisons)
Different authors think they were produced by Insubres (Pautaso, Allen, Nash ) and other by Boii- Cenoni (S Scheers).

In reality it is very difficult to find the real origin of the coins.
Discussion is open

Best regards
Frederic

Lorenzo Bassi

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 02:42:26 am »
Different authors think they were produced by Insubres (Pautaso, Allen, Nash ) and other by Boii- Cenoni (S Scheers).

Plinius,

spero che Arslan non legga questo post ......

Ciao

Lorenzo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity