Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 06:39:24 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Byzantine coin of the day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine coin of the day  (Read 95141 times)
Obryzum
Caesar

« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2008, 02:08:40 am »

Justinian II, First Reign, Carthage, S. 1270? (the B in Monogram 61 is backwards compared to the mongram illustration in Sear).  Anyone seen another like this one?  My references are limited.

joma-tk
Caesar

« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:46 am »

If this coin is genuine, the only comment I can make is  Shocked Shocked Shocked
To be honest though, I saw the 4 refferences of MIB to this coin and yours is not like any of them.
Main and very obvious difference is that below H should be a K.
Grierson's refferences do not help either.
Maybe unpublished?
I really do not know...
Hope it's good.
Minos
Caesar

« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »

I'm not a collector of byzantine coins but this one grabbed me. Leo VI (886-912 AD) AE follis minted in Constantinople.

Task_Force
Praetorian

« Reply #378 on: June 22, 2008, 03:00:22 am »

And again Leo VI:
AR miliaresion, Constantinople, Sear 1726
Laetvs
Caesar

Industria et Virtute

« Reply #379 on: June 22, 2008, 09:32:14 am »

Wow, very sharp!

Task_Force
Praetorian

« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2008, 01:52:11 am »

My coin of the day is Justinian I, AE half follis, Nicomedia, Sear 203.
Task_Force
Praetorian

« Reply #381 on: July 22, 2008, 04:50:44 am »

My coin of the day is Constans II and Constantine IV, AE follis, Syracuse, Sear 1110.
bakkar
Caesar

« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2008, 11:55:07 am »

Interesting.
Goodies
Consul

Coins are like old newspapers.

« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2008, 01:00:32 pm »

hi,

Great thread !

I also have a few Byzantine coins but I do not know much about this period.. beautiful coins though..

My favorite is below example of Constantinus X, I believe Sear 185. The bronze patine is of the greatest color green spectrum I ever saw on a bronze coin.. the photograph is not optimal. And actually these are 2 coins, over struck.

Smiley
Lex

joma-tk
Caesar

« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2008, 05:19:47 am »

Dear Bakkar

The best Heraclius-Cyprus coin I have ever seen, BUT I do not understand what is the symbol over M Huh
Something like this is not registered.
Jim Roberts
Consul

« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2008, 09:43:23 am »

Bakkar's beautiful Heraclius follis from Cyprus brings up a subject that's been puzzling me for a long time.  Does anyone know how to distinguish the originals of this issue from the Arab (and perhaps other) imitations?

I have two specimens with wildly different styles, and I can hardly believe that both were struck at the same mint in the same year.  The one I call "swoopy" has an obverse like Bakkar's, with tall figures that have elaborate hairdos (or nimbi, pendillia?)  Its reverse has letters with conspicuous serifs (in contrast to Bakkar's).  The other one, "stubby," has compact figures with simple crowns and no hair.  The reverse has plain lettering without serifs.

I have generally considered "swoopy" to be characteristic of original coins of that period from the Cyprus mint, and "stubby" to be a typical imitation.  But Sear's illustration (#849 in the 1974 ed.) shows the "stubby" type.  Can anybody help sort this out?  With thanks in advance,

- Jim Roberts
wileyc
Comitia Curiata II
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Once in a while you get shown the light

« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2008, 11:29:57 pm »

Here is a Andronicus I Billion trachy I just received still with some nice silvering
and a ledigble legend on the reverse. Sear 1985 var A. two jewels on loros
  Greek_Lambda Greek_Nu Greek_Delta Greek_Rho Greek_Omicron Greek_Nu Greek_Iota Greek_Kappa Greek_Omicron C    Greek_Delta Greek_epsilon C Greek_Pi Greek_Omicron Greek_Tau Greek_Eta C

Pep
Magistratus Optima Lege VI
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2008, 07:10:32 am »

Interesting question about the Cyprus coins of Heraclius.  I hope an expert weighs in but I always thought the official issues were actually "sloppier".  For example, bakkar's coin overall would be too nice.  On Year 17s, the date is not engraved straight, it's curved like on Jim's second coin and on mine below.  Yet, bakkar's coin has such a curve as well.  On Years 18 and 19, the date is engraved straight and aligned.  I have a Year 18 below (I believe according to alignment, can someone please confirm Wink ).

Kevin  Smiley

bakkar
Caesar

« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »

Jim, kevin, I have been collecting these types for a long time and I think
 your coins are official issues but the product of another
mint location somewhere in northern Syria.
Best regards
Bakkar
Pep
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2008, 06:44:41 am »

Thanks bakkar for your theory (from your use of the word "think" Wink )!

So the nicely-engraved ones are from Cyprus, the cruder ones from Northern Syria, and the blundered ones are non-official imitations?

Like joma-tk says, no Greek_Beta with a center line is recorded in DO or Sear.  The two examples you show are both Year 17, is this the only year the real Cyprus mint operated?  Is that mark a universal feature for that mint?  How would Years 18 and 19 differ between the two official locations if both struck them?

Kevin  Smiley

bakkar
Caesar

« Reply #390 on: August 14, 2008, 09:48:23 am »

yes Keven, the nicely-engraved ones are from Cyprus, the cruder ones from Northern Syria, and the blundered ones are non-official imitations. This is my "theory" . I did not come through
coins dated years 18 and 19 which are similar to  that type of year 17. we have to wait
untill more examples reach to us.

Bakkar
Jim Roberts
Consul

« Reply #391 on: August 14, 2008, 05:37:28 pm »

Bakkar and Kevin - Thanks for your very interesting photos and "theory".  I've noticed that the Bank of Cyprus has a web site with photos of three specimens of this type, from years 17, 18, and 19:

http://www.boccf.org/main/default.aspx?tabid=46&boc_category=54

Also, eight Arab imitatative specimens are on [reference to dealer that is not a Procurator Monetae removed by admin].  But I still don't feel comfortable about separating the different issues of this type.  For example, do all of the coins of years 18-19 come from the "real" KYPR' mint (wherever that may be)?  That would include, for example, Kevin's second coin (year 18) and the upper-left coin of Bakkar's group of three (year 19).

Jim Roberts
Root
Praetorian

« Reply #392 on: August 18, 2008, 04:19:51 pm »

My coin of the Day

Folles of emperor Phokas, minted in Antiochia regnal year 8 (AD 609/10)
Sear 672

A coin in a very nice condition, i´m very happy with it  Smiley

Kind regards

Michael
Pep
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #393 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »

Great portrait on that Phocas!

Today's coin:

Emperor:  Heraclius (r. 610-641 AD)
Date:  612-613 AD (Year 3)
Condition:  VF
DenominationFollis

Obverse[
Bust facing, bearded, wearing paludamentum and crown with trefoil ornament and pendilia, cross above.  In right hand, globus cruciger.

Reverse:  Large ""; Above, cross; To left, ///; To right, /; Beneath, .
Exergue

Constantinople mint, first officina
DO 71a; Sear 804
11.67g; 31.9mm; 45°

Overstruck on a Follis of Maurice Tiberius from Antioch ( on obverse; [ , mappa and crown with trefoil ornament on reverse)

Kevin  Smiley

wileyc
Comitia Curiata II
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Once in a while you get shown the light

« Reply #394 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06:11 am »

Great detail on Heraclius beard and I like the coloration.

My coin today in a common Latin Tachy

sear 2021
Obv:The Virgin enthroned  (not shown)

Rx: (shown) Full length figure of Emperor wearing stemma, divitision, and chlamys, in rt hand labarum and in left hand a anexikakia.

I am still impressed with the detail the celators were able to develop with these small peices some only 11 mm across.

Cordially
CW

Obryzum
Caesar

« Reply #395 on: October 10, 2008, 06:14:22 am »

Precursor to Picasso?

I have heard it said that Byzantine art was a precursor to modern art because it pioneered techniques of abstraction . . . . but I look at what happened during the coinage of Constantine IV and I scratch my head.  Why did the engravers introduce the circles in place of eyes?  I know mental illness was a family trait in the Heraclian line, but I doubt that was intentionally reflected in the coinage.  Not only the circles, but circles that are placed in an anatomically incorrect spot, as in this solidus of Constantine IV.

Any ideas?

joma-tk
Caesar

« Reply #396 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:54 am »

Dear Obryzum

I am really impressed!
Not only because you are right, but also because after many years of studing Byzantine coins, this is the first time that I realized this detail!
Here are some more interesting coins with such eyes (always Constantine IV).
PS
I looked several more emperors but I haven't noticed anything similar.
tk
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...

« Reply #397 on: October 10, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »

Maurice Tiberius, unpublished half follis, year XXI, Constantinople. Coins with regnal year XXI have been minted between 13 Aug. 602 - 22 Nov. 602. Only folles have been recorded so far.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...
joma-tk
Caesar

« Reply #398 on: October 10, 2008, 11:28:13 pm »

Great coin! Very nice facial details.
For Maurice Tiberius fans, recently I was fortunate enough to find a very special follis.
Below you see a Constantinople follis, Sear 494, year 18, with two remarkable characteristics.
1. The emperor wears a crown with cross and not helmet (scarce detail)
2. The emperor wears chlamys instead of military costume or consular robes!!(extremely rare detail)
For comparison purposes, I give you also the picture of a normal Maurice  follis, Sear 494 so that to clearly see the differences
tk

Pep
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #399 on: October 20, 2008, 09:02:19 pm »

Emperor:  Heraclius (r. 610-641 AD)
Date:  612-613 AD (Year 3)
Condition:  VF
DenominationFollis

Obverse:  Illegible legend (overstruck)
Bust with short beard, facing, wearing cuirass, paludamentum, and helmet with cross, plume, and pendilia.  In right hand, cross.

Reverse:  Large ""; Above, cross; To left, ///; To right, /; Beneath, .
Exergue

Nicomedia mint, first officina
DO 155a; Sear 833
10.79g; 29.0mm; 210°

Overstruck on a Year 9 Follis of Justin II from Antioch (, /// and / on obverse; Justin II & Sophia enthroned, holding globe surmounted by large cross between them on reverse (Sear 379))

Kevin  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Byzantine coin of the day « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop