Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 02:27:48 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Byzantine coin of the day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Byzantine coin of the day  (Read 98577 times)
mernumis
Consul

« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2006, 08:14:40 am »

here is a Maurice Tiberius follis from Antioch, officina Greek_Gamma, probably regnal year VIIII

knowledge gets its value when shared otherwise means nothing...
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...

« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2006, 08:54:31 am »

Here is another maurice, also from Antioch, with a superb green with desert sand patina. The coin is EF, quite rare for the type.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2006, 03:42:23 am »

Anastasius I, follis, from Constantinople, superb green patina, scarcer type with dot above star.

bobgreen
Consul

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2006, 07:47:40 am »

vercingetorix, those are a couple of beauties! I have to admit, though, I am partial to the Maurice.
bob
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2006, 08:15:24 am »

bob, I know what you mean. the maurice is one of my favourites.

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2006, 08:18:59 am »

Looking through the Forum's statistics I realized that our 'Byzantine coin of the day' thread is one of the most popular in the whole board, being top ranked for replies and views. I would dare to say that it is the most consistent by replies as the other ones in top 10 started with a specific subject and got distracted to other topics and discussions. I would like to congratulate everyone contributing to this great thread and keep posting your favourite byzantine coins! Smiley

mernumis
Consul

« Reply #206 on: December 03, 2006, 09:24:37 am »

Maurice Tiberivs... I wonder this year 4 coin of Antiochia mint is an arab-byzantine issue. since it has small m instead of M... Frank.

P.S. I owned the coin for less then  a few hours now a friend owns it (istinpolin) :-)

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #207 on: December 03, 2006, 02:03:19 pm »

It is a regular Maurice issue. This M type was already in use during the reign of Tiberius II Constantine, who actually introduced this design and will be used again early in the 7th century by Phocas. The arab-imitations that you mention copy the coins of Constans II, who also made use of the small m.

Root
Praetorian

« Reply #208 on: December 03, 2006, 03:56:47 pm »

My Coin of the Day. Bought it today at a Coinfair (right word?) in Hannover/Germany

Phocas (602-610)
Folles Nikomedia mint, 2nd Officina, regnal year 5
Sear 659 DOC 57b

I like the style of this Emperor.

Regards Michael
bobgreen
Consul

« Reply #209 on: December 03, 2006, 04:31:15 pm »

Michael,

I like your Focus coin a lot. You do not see many Focus`s in this condition. I found a dekanummium of Focus in some uncleans that was pretty nice, now I am hoping to find a follis like this.... Maybe some day I will.....What is its size?

mernumis,

Nice coin!

bob
Root
Praetorian

« Reply #210 on: December 03, 2006, 09:24:38 pm »

Sorry forgott the Size and the weight:

size 30 mm
weight 11,29 gr

Regards Michael
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2006, 12:47:20 am »

Very nice portrait!

Laetvs
Caesar

Industria et Virtute

« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2006, 05:28:10 pm »

Vercingetorix, I notice that your Anastasius that you posted on December 2nd has a cross over the bust.  That's a scarce variety, isn't it?

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2006, 12:16:58 am »

Yes it is, also added to the fact that dots are present above the stars on reverse.

Pep
Magistratus Optima Lege VI
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #214 on: December 05, 2006, 05:38:14 am »

I think it should be graded better than fine for this type; very nice coin!

I was thinking "Fine" because of some features being off-flan.  Considering your suggestion and how I have graded other coins, I have bumped it up to "Very Fine" Cool

--------------------------------------------------

And now for the next emperor in my series:

Emperor:  Justinian II (First Reign:  685-695 AD)
Date:  685-695 AD
Condition:  VF
DenominationFollis

Obverse:  No legend
Bust facing, bearded, wearing jeweled robe and crown with cross. In left hand, globus cruciger; in right, akakia.

Reverse:  Large "M"; Above,
Exergue:  SCL

Syracuse mint
DO 53; MIB III 67; Sear 1294
4.320g; 22.2mm; 195°

Kevin  Smiley

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24:16 pm »

I would like to present you a small lot of western mint fractions that I just purchased. You can see here four decanummia of Heraclius, one single, three with Her. Constantine, all from Catania mint; one Tiberius II Constantine decanummium from Ravenna and one particulary nice Leo III with Constantine V from Syracuse.

Optimus
Caesar

« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2006, 01:55:21 pm »

How about this AR milliarension? I just got it and,as it does not fir my collection, I will let it go on sale. Enjoy!

Diagnosis: Numismaticus Incurabilis
mernumis
Consul

« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2006, 02:45:40 pm »

here is  a fraction

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2006, 01:17:15 am »

It is always nice to see fractions. These were the core part of the true byzantine monetary economy. Wherever you find high numbers of these small denominations in archaeological finds, like Sardis, Antioch or Corinth, you will know how developed the monetary economy really was. BTW, your coin is from the Antioch mint, years 555-560.

Heraclius
Praetorian

« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2006, 03:51:15 am »

Is it common to find most fractions near where the mints were located? I'm wondering if small denominations were generally not carried over long distances. Did the main mints all issue fractions?
vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2006, 06:43:45 am »

Not all the mints issued the whole range of denominations. Constantinople, Nicomedia, Cyzic and Antioch from the eastern part and Carthage constantly issued the main deniminations in the byzantine monetary system- M, K, I and E. Others were specialized in issuing special denominations as Alexadria, mostly 12 nummia (IB) and Thessalonica 16 nummia (IS). Various denominations, regardless of size were carried by merchants across the empire or by soldiers who were partly paid in petty currency. At the same time, however, the major urban centers of the byzantine world, namely Constantinople, Antioch, Carthage, Sardis, Corinth, Athens, Thessalonica, where extended archaeological research has been carried out, yielded an important number of pentanummia, most of all, in each case, issued by the local mint or an important neighboring one. On the counterpart, in smaller settlements or rural areas you will find mostly folles and half-folles. The higher the number of small coins the more developed the economy. In Sardis, for instance, a capital provincial city in Asia Minor, entire streets of small shops were unearthed and an abundance of pentanummia was found. This means that many small transactions were made there and all were done using coins, especially small change. In more archaic and remote places in the Empire, the monetary economy is often combined with barter exchange of goods. For instance a town close to the sea would bring fish to an inland town and in exchange it would receive, let's say, wheat.

bobgreen
Consul

« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2006, 08:30:00 am »

vercingetorix, that is so interesting. I enjoy posts such as this!

bob
Heraclius
Praetorian

« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2006, 11:53:05 am »

vercingetorix, thanks for your reply. It's interesting that in rural (interior?) regions that larger denominations are found; I would have thought that is where trade/barter would most likely occur; as you say, where the monetary system was less developed. Or if money was used, smaller denominations of currency had more buying power than in large trading centers. Very interesting nonetheless....the interrelation of economics, demographics, politics and history is always amazing.
mernumis
Consul

« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2006, 12:50:54 pm »

another fraction that i couldnot id..æ18

vercingetorix
IMPERATOR
Caesar

« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2006, 02:10:26 pm »

Looks like a Maurice Tiberius, year II, Thessalonica mint.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Byzantine Coins (Moderators: vercingetorix, wileyc, Paleologos)  |  Topic: Byzantine coin of the day « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop