Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: possible greek?  (Read 1283 times)

ande3000

possible greek?
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:41:46 pm »
hello!

I have this coin.I think is greek or Celtic from Massilia.Diameter is 10mm.on the reverse cross with A.Sameone Could help me?

thanks

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
Re: possible greek?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:33:35 pm »
I just know this piece as silver obol with head left. But it should be Massalia. In the field left of the A there is a M I suppose.

Frank

Bohemond

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:48:08 pm »
Indeed a silver greec obol struck in their colony of Massilia ( now Marseille, S-France ). 400-300 BC I believe. M A stands in 2 quarters of the cartwheel. The head on the obverse must be of some young deity. Anyone knows who?

Bohemond

ande3000

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:09:47 pm »
thanks for help!

the head is Apollo.on reverse there is A and a part of M!
but the problem is that the head usually is left...in my coin is right.
sameone cuold have same idea?

thanks

ande3000

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 08:09:43 pm »
could be an AE Hemiobol?

thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity