Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.  (Read 30033 times)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« on: December 11, 2004, 04:46:27 pm »
I think it would be interesting if we started a general discussion about byzantine coinage through the ages. I am sure that a lot of our members, mainly focused on roman coins, are not very acquainted to byzantine coinage. I suggest we get into some historical events first and their repercusions on coinage starting this week with the early byzantine period 6th-7th century.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re:History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 05:31:56 pm »
These are the emperors of the sixth-early seventh century:
Anastasius (491-518)
Justin I (518-527)
Justinian I (527-565)
Justin II (565-578)
Tiberius II Constantine (578-582)
Maurice Tiberius (582-602)
Phocas (602-610)
Heraclius (610-641)
These are the obverse types issued in their names and some major characteristics:

Anastasius, alone, profile bust
Justin I, alone, profile bust
Justin I and Justinian I, profile bust (Justin I)
Justinian I, alone,profile bust and facing after AD 538
Justin II, alone and with empress Sophia, enthroned
Tiberius II, alone, facing bust, consular type, latin numerals.
Maurice, alone, facing bust, mainly military type.
Phocas, alone and with empress Leontia, standing and facing bust, latin numerals.
Heraclius, alone and with Heraclius Constantine, Heraclonas and/or empress Martina, standing, facing bust.

Anastasius I performed a major currency reform aiming to ressurect the colapsed bronze coinage system by introducing new denominations: 40 nummia (follis), 20 nummia (half-follis), 10 nummia (1/4 follis) and 5 nummia (1/8 follis). He started with small module folles but later he introduced heavier issues. The same policy was conducted by Justin I.
       Justinianus, tried to make the best of the huge imperial treasury inherited from his predecessors by launching an offensive westwards in order to reconquer the former roman territories in western Europe and northern Africa. He introduced a huge copper follis along with a new style, the facing bust and the regnal numerals on the obverse. His victories were not to last and as the treasury was smaller he decided to reduce the size of the follis gradually.
        This policy was continued by his nephew Justin II, a period of inflation with many coins on the market and of smaller size. The inovation is the presence of the emperor and empress enthroned on the obverse.
         During the reign of Tiberius II, the follis regained some weight and a new stile with uncial denomination letters on the obverse and sometimes latin instead of greek numerals. Also the emperor made extensive use of the consular type, with consular robe, eagle tipped scepter and mappa. Tiberius was co-emperor from 575 so his dating as sole ruler starts from year 4.
      Maurice's folles had the same weight with the half-folles from the first period of Justinian after the reform (538-542).
       Phocas the usurper of Maurice also uses latin numerals and an image with his wife Leontia on some issues. A good part of his early coins are restruck over Maurice's coins.
       Heraclius uses many types of representations on the obverse with his wife and two sons. He opens some exotic mints at Alexandretta, Seleucia, Isaura or Cyprus in the first years. The coins become more and more small as the empire loses the possesions reconquered by Justinianus and also the Eastern part of the Empire. The Byzantine Empire becomes a greek state. His issues are sometimes overstruck on earlier bronze from Phocas or Maurice.

Other general features:
-gold coins are more common than before during the roman period.
-silver is scarce even rare, only ceremonial coins being issued during the sixth c. Heraclius introduces a new silver denomination, the hexagram.
Below are some links leading to coin pictures from the period.

Anastasius small module:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0014.1.jpg
Anastasius big module:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0019.6.jpg
Justin I:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0062.html
Justin I and Justinian I
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0125.html
Justinian I profile bust:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0158.html
Justinian I facing bust:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0163.2.jpg
Justin II and Sophia:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0360.html
Tiberius II:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0430.html
Maurice:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0494.3.jpg
Phocas:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0658.html
Heraclius hexagram:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0795.4.jpg
Heraclius follis:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sb/sb0824.html

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 06:58:43 pm »
i think we should also include the mints of each period, as well as denominations or by metals by which they produced.

regards levon

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 01:07:35 am »
In this first era that is posted, I'd like to know more about the damniato of Phocas that vercingetorix alluded to earlier in my thread about Heraclius cointermarked coins. I love Byzantine coins, but I am completely ignorant about them.

Doug

corvus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 05:30:25 am »
Ok! Here we go:
TIBERIUS II CONSTANTINE, 578-582 AD
Tiberiusโ€™ lasting contribution to the numismatic history of the empire was the introduction of the cross potent, a cross with a bar at the end of each joint, on four steps. Thus raised, it is usually called the cross calvary because it is thought to represent a golden cross mounted atop Calvary โ€“ the site of Christโ€™s execution in Jerusalem โ€“ during the reign of Theodosius II. The cross calvary is said to have appeared to Tiberius in a vision. Although his gold coins are the only issues of the sixth century to use the device, it became the standard reverse for the gold coinage of the following two centuries.

corvus

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 05:31:34 am »
Maurice Tiberius, 13 Aug 582 - 22 Nov 602 A.D.
Joint rule with Theodosius (his son), 29 March 590 - 22 November 602 A.D.
Maurice Tiberius, a successful general, was selected by Tiberius II Constantine as his successor. Although he achieved a favourable peace in Persia and was able to stem the losses of territory in Italy and Africa, much of the Balkans were lost. Focas, a junior officer lead a military revolt against Maurice and was declared emperor in November 602. Maurice and his son and co-emperor Theodosius were captured and murdered.

corvus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 05:34:21 am »
Phocas (Focas), 23 November 602 - 5 October 610 A.D.
Focas or Phocas was the last emperor to issue the standing angel reverse type. Ex Harlan Berk, ex Woolslayer collection. Now mine :)

corvus

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 05:35:55 am »
Focas changed the traditional plural legend VICTORIA AVGG or AVGVSTORVM  to a singular form, VICTORIA AVGU (AVGU = AVGVSTI). His intent may have been to discourage a popular movement to make his son-in-law co-emperor.  The N in the reverse field has been interpreted to represent indictional year 13, however Sear notes the symbol is also found on earlier varieties.

Focas became emperor through a military revolt in the winter of 602 A.D.  He was an oppressive evil tyrant.  His reign was a period of disaster with invasions in the East and West, persecution of the aristocracy and civil unrest.  Focas restored recognizable portraiture to the coinage - An oddity considering his appearance is often described as grotesque

corvus

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 05:38:05 am »
Heraclius, 5 October 610 - 11 February 641 A.D
Heraclius revived silver coinage at Constantinople after more than two centuries during which it had been limited to very rare ceremonial issues. The bulk of the Heraclian hexagrams doubtless date from after 621 when the Church placed its treasures at the emperor's disposal during the crisis of the Persian War. The reverse legend translates, "O God, bring help to the Romans."

corvus

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 05:50:57 am »
Constans II, November 641 - 15 July 668 A.D.
During the reign of Constans II, Egypt was lost and would never again be part of the empire.  Towards the end of his reign he moved his capital to Syracuse, Sicily.  He was assassinated in 668 and the capital was returned to Constantinople.  His son was:
Constantine IV, Pogonatus, 15 July 668 - 10 July 685 A.D.
"The news of [Constans'] murder was conveyed with almost supernatural speed from Syracuse to Constantinople; and Constantine, the eldest of his sons, inherited his throne without being the heir of the public hatred."
Gibbon  Decline & Fall

Constantine IV should be credited with saving Europe from Muslim conquest.  Beginning in 674, the great siege of Constantinople, by the caliph Muawija I, lasted four years.  The newly invented famous "Greek Fire" made the city impregnable and the Arabs were forced to retreat.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 04:09:17 pm »
I decided to jump ahead to the latter years. Skipping a few centuries.

The latter years for the Byzantine/ Romanion Empire was a return to the more traditional style of art found on coins.  After the end of the Iconoclast movement religious personages returned to the coinage, many issues of Christ, Virgin Mary (Even the hands of God) and various Saints made their appearance on everyday coinage.  The pagan Gods were replaced by the Saints in the new Christian Roman Empire.

Bellow are examples of coinage from the twilight years starting from 1081 to the first fall of the empire to the Western Latin cultures that rose to take the old lands of the Rome.

Ironically  , you will note that in some cases  the religious figures on the coins could be compared to the older Pagan Gods depicted on the earlier Roman coins.  

JOHN II AE Tetarteron S-1945 DOC12
]
Christ stg. facing on footstool, wearing nimbus cr., pallium and colobium and holding book of gospels in l. hand. L. IC to XC. Rev John stg. facing wearing crown divitivsion and loros holding cruiciform sceptre and gl. cr. Constantinople mint. Ef with Pitting. DOC 12 *** This issue has been found with traces of silvering, the series might be billion as like all the Constantinople issues but less than 5% silver.*******
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2004, 04:11:12 pm »
ALEXIUS AE Tetarteron S-1920

Bust of Christ facing, wearing nimbus cr. pallium and colobium and holding book of gospels in left. Rev Bust facing wearing crown and loros and holding labarum an gl cr. Brillant obverse, shows how nice these coins can be. The rev is being cleaned of verdige leaving a fine image in view. 17mm DOC 33 EF/TBD
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 04:12:46 pm »
The Virgin Nimbate, stg r. with hands raised in the Manus Dei in upper field to r. Rev Manuel bearded stg. facing wearing crown, divitision, loros and saigon, and holding cruciform sceptre and akakia.20mm Constantinople Mint ,Fine + Copper, nice style. *** My first tetarteron, the one that got me hooked. ****** DOC 15

Note the marks above Mary's hands are Gods Hands.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2004, 04:22:11 pm »
Facing bust of St. Demetrius, beardless wearing nimbus and military attire, and holding sword and sheild. Rev Bust facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding labarum and gl. cr. DOC 17 15mm Fine + *** Difficult to find nice ones and easily confused with Sanit George Manuel half tetarteron, inscription of saint is the key.***

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 04:28:19 pm »
Facing bust of the Archangel Michael beardless and nimbate, wearing loros and holding sceptre with trifoil device. and gl.cr. Rev Bust of Isaac facing wearing crown and loros and holding cruiciform sceptre and akakia. 21mm Nice Very Fine! **** Note the trifoil device that Archangel Michael holds.***** DOC 5a.1

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 04:30:13 pm »
MANUEL I AE Tetarteron S-1975 DOC 18  
Bust of St. George facing beardless wearing nimbus, tunic, cuirass and sagion and holding spear and sheild. Rev Bust facing wearing crown loros and holding labarum and gl, cr. 22 mm Thessalonica mint. aVF/EF Simply an excellent portrait of Manuel, the St. George bust lacks a face, either by bad strike or water wear. DOC 18 The nicest one I have ever seen

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 04:31:45 pm »
ANDRONICUS I AE Tetarteron S-1986 DOC5  
Virgin stg facing  , nimbate hd. of the infant Christ facing. to l. MP to r. OV Rev Full length figure of Emperor on l. crowned by Christ bearded and nimbate. Emperor wears stemma , divitision and chalmys; holds in r hand labarum on a long shaft and in l anexikia Christ wearing tunic and kolobion holds gospel in l. hand. Constantinople mint 20mm Very Fine DOC5  

bruce61813

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 06:45:46 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=111&pos=76 This is a large follis of Justin II that I have posted in the Gallery under Best of type.

Justin II; Follis ; 32.5 mm, 15.9 g; Regnal year 9 = 573 - 574 AD; Sear #372
DN IVSTINVS PP AVG - Justin on left and Sophia on right, seated facing on a double throne, both nimbate. He holds a globus cruciger [orb], she holds cruciform sceptre.
Mint of Cyzicus - KYZ in exergue

Bruce

corvus

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 03:15:27 am »
Guys should we still stick in 6 -7th century  and move later step by step? We all have interesting coins, but shall we bit hold back? Otherwise all this topic getting very confusing and later it is impossible to get clear picture!? Shouldn't  Vercingetorix  dictate next centuries when clear that no new materials coming in?

Risto

corvus

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2004, 03:18:34 am »
Now coming back to 6th century and Justinianus I very interesting pentanummium:
12mm in diameter. Full images and partial inscriptions.
Ov: Bust right, [DN IVSTINIA]NVS PP AV
Rv:  Tyche of Antioch seated on reverse, retrograde E (=5) on reverse.

Note: Tyche of Antioch was a pagan deity, and its' appearance on 6th century coins (when Christianity was the absolutely dominant religion) is more than unusual. They are usually in very poor condition. This scarce little bronze is quite good in quality.

corvus

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2004, 03:21:15 am »
Justin II
I know I have showed this coin earlier, but it is very interesting one (obtained from this very site couple years ago):
Gold light weight solidus of 22 siliquae,
DO 138, Berk 66, MIB 8, Tolstoi 17, Ratto 760, S 376, gVF,
weakly struck as usual for the type,
weight: 4.02g, 20.0mm, 180ยบ, Theoupolis (Antioch) Syria mint?, 565-578 A.D.
ov:  D N IVSTINVS PP AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Justin II facing, holding globe surmounted by Victory in right hand, shield with horseman device on left shoulder;
rv:  VICTORIA AVGGG QS, Constantinopolis enthroned facing, looking right, resting on spear held in right hand and holding globus on extended left hand, OB * + * in exergue;
ex Frank L. Kovacs, ex Woolslayer collection, now mine
Light weight solidi differ from the normal 24 siliquae types by weight, distinctive marks, reverse details and sometime obverse details as well.  Their purpose may have been to pay tribute to foreign powers or to facilitate trade with neighboring cultures who used different weight systems.  The letters QS at the end of the reverse legend is the source of  attribution for this type to the Syrian city Theoupolis (formerly Antioch).  However, this attribution has not received universal acceptance among experts.
On the gold coinage of Justin, we see the appearance of a female personification of Constantinopolis for the last time, (putting aside the case of the mysterious 'commemorative' silver jetons which appear to have been struck at some point during the Sixth century.) Constantinopolis had featured on the commemorative coins of Constantine I, but Grierson says that by the time she appeared on Justin's coinage, she was so forgotten that scandalized people assumed it was Venus!

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2004, 10:37:05 am »
I am glad we have so many contributions on this subject.  The fact that everybody is eager to post their coins is a a proof that byzantine coins are not forgotten among your collection. I agree with corvus that we should take it step by step.
I agree that light weight solidi, largely found outside the empire's borders are a means to pay barbarian chiefs.
Concerning  Victoria on the revrse of gold issues I find it interesting to notice how long it lasted as a representation on coinage, surviving from the time of Constantine and to the sixth c. until it became an archangel instead of a pagan image.
Yafet, rugser's half-follis is very interesting. Its style reminds me of the Magna Graecia coinage of centuries ago. I don't remember seeing it in any reference catalogue, but it's not impossible. Maybe Rugser has more info on this type.
Another interesting issue is the 3/4 follis (XXX) from the reign of Tiberius II and Phocas. I recently found out that it was the price for a bread.
Bruce, your follis is almost perfect for the type. Enjoy...

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2004, 01:30:11 pm »
i doubt he has more info since i told him about this strange coins. I'm checking his byzantine and gothic coins for a research and many strange pieces are coming out from rome mint. this is because for all the VI century byzantine coins were used with ostrogothic and vandalic ones without differences. There was a hoard found not far from my town where there was a mix of byzantine, ostrogothic and vandalic one nummus coins.

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 01:18:27 pm »
hi everyone,

first, i would like to say that this section is an extremely good idea, as there are many facts i never knew have come to light.

my question is why was the capital switched from constantinople to syracuse, and what reprecussions did this have on the empire, and how was syracuse affected ? numismaticaly as well as general.

levon

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 05:40:28 pm »
The capital city, from the official point of view was always Constantinople. And to a higher degree than Rome itself. Let's not forget that from the IVth century emperors did not have their residence in Rome but elsewhere. Of course, the Senate was always there. But let's get back to Constantinople and Syracuse. During the reign of Heraclius a very important part of the empire was lost: the rich eastern provinces-Egypt, Palestina, Syria. The arabs grew stronger and soon they launched a full scale offensive on Constantinople itself. The emperor, Constans II decided that it would be better to move the capital in Sicily, far from the arabs and also closer to the grain crops to feed the people after the lost of Egypt the most important wheat supplier of the Empire. Hist intentions are to be seen in his coinage-many issues from Italy, Sicily especially. The lost of the remainder of the north-african territories in the last years of the seventh c. made the idea of a new capital virtually impossible. Anyway Sicily was lost two during the middle byzantine age and wil soon be conquered by the normans.

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 02:25:47 am »

corvus

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 09:03:17 am »

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 01:10:57 pm »

corvus

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 02:47:46 am »

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 03:50:59 am »

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 02:28:57 pm »

Offline Robert C2

• Legionary
Re: History and Coinage. A Byzantine debate topic.
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2016, 08:51:56 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity