Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imperial Funerals  (Read 21369 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Imperial Funerals
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2005, 10:02:13 am »
Could you recommend some sources on the Jewish history for the period of 2nd-10th centuries?
Personally, I saw on TV an interview with a Christian priest (from some exotic Church) who claimed that
that the split between confessions is because Judaism considers that  Jesus was a son of a Roman soldier.
Is this claim has a background?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2005, 08:35:36 pm »
Yes, it has, but I have a splitting headache and as it's gone 1 AM I'm not going to search out the sources right now! There's a story, I'm not certain of the date right now, that Jesus was the son of a Roman soldier called Pandera. The name is known, from a Roman tombstone I believe, and the allegation of bastardy is supported to some extent by Matthew's Gospel; his story of the Virgin birth could well have been a response to some such tale. But the Pandera story is much later.

A good, but not academic, source on the Jews in Roman times is 'the Jews in the Roman world' by Michael Grant. 'Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism', ed. Hershel Shanks (SPCK, 1993), is more academic and goes up to the end of the 6th Century. I don't have anything which gives a detailed account of the later period in my own library, but there's an outline in the Pelican book on 'Judaism' by Isidore Epstein, and it has a bibliography, and Hans Kung covers it briefly in his 'Judaism' (Piper Verlag, 1991), which gives comprehensive references.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 05:19:35 pm »
This is Geta's tomb on Via Appia Antica.  Has someone  an information about it?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2007, 07:22:18 am »
Dont forget the tomb of Romulus, son of Maxentius in Rome, also depicted on coins. I seem to remember some debate about whether it was a tomb or a monument, but I dont remember the details and is still referred to as a tomb.
                                                    LordBest. 8)

The temple depicted on the reverse of the coin below is in all probability the Temple of Divus Romulus begun by Maxentius around A.D.311 but left unfinished on his death in A.D.312. This building also appears on some rarer coins of Romulus.

The building with the plain brick facade which more commonly appears on the coins of Romulus is presumed to be his sepulchre on the Appian Way.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity