Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins of Gibraltar  (Read 4316 times)

millimoo

Coins of Gibraltar
« on: November 17, 2004, 05:49:37 am »
Just had a few days in Gibraltar, and got to thinking about their coins.

At the moment they must mint their own versions of UK coins, different reverses etc.  But when you consider the history associated with the place, they must have had all sorts in circulation.

Does anyone know anything or know of a publication or web site?

Thanks!

Dave
 :)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re:Coins of Gibraltar
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:39:09 pm »
Gibraltar actually has some neat modern coins related to it's "history" ... Myth has it that the rock of Gibraltar was put in place by Hercules, and a few years ago Gibraltar issued a complete series of the 12 labours of Hercules on 2 pound coins.

http://wbcc-online.com/ctry-e-g/gibraltar.html

Ben

TKE96

Re:Coins of Gibraltar - looking to get some!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:59:21 am »
Can someone point me to a place where I may be able to buy a full set of the labors of Hercules and the Seven Wonders of the World coins?  Does anybody have some they woudl be willing to part with?

millimoo

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:15:39 am »
TKE96,

They look great don't they?  My Brother in law lives in Gib, so I will drop him a line & see if we can get some!

Dave

TKE96

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 08:45:28 pm »
Dave - Any word on that possibility with your brother in law?

millimoo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 01:44:32 am »
No joy sorry!

The best I could find was this:

http://maddys-treasure.com/OnlineShop/hercules_coins.htm

I'll be over to Gib at some point and I'll see what I can find!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity