Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post a pic of you  (Read 133016 times)

Offline snorkelpaleis

• Caesar
Re: Post a pic of you
« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2006, 05:07:32 pm »
This is me, as a witness at the wedding of my sister

kind regards,

snorkelpaleis
Carpe narem

Dave A

« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2006, 08:56:51 pm »
Well here is a picture of me and some scenery.  Unfortunately the scenery is rather charred.  This was taken a few years ago in northern Canada.

And now at present time I'm still fighting forest fires but from the air.  I was getting too old to continue running around in the forest with 80 pounds on my back.

Dave

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2006, 11:26:02 pm »
That is admirable work Dave!  I have a great uncle who died in 1953 way before I was born.  He was fighting a forest fire and got caught in the wrong place when the wind shifted.  It is dangerous work that most would not do.

Best, Noah

peterpil19

« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2006, 01:05:25 am »
In Australia, we know all too well about bushfires (in South Australia where I live, just mention the word "Ash Wednesday"), and appreciate and respect the work that firefighters like yourself do.

Peter

basemetal

« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2006, 08:50:10 pm »
Here's a pic of me pre-coin collecting.  I used to fly, build, repair, and generally have one great time flying powered parachutes.  One of life's great pleasures, and the second-best feeling on earth. ;)

His Star

« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2006, 11:07:52 pm »
And now at present time I'm still fighting forest fires but from the air.  I was getting too old to continue running around in the forest with 80 pounds on my back.

Dave
When my son was about 16/17 he did some volunteer fire-fighting with his best friends uncle (the real firefighter).  We were living outside of Huntsville, AL and there was a forest fire they were having trouble putting out.  He came home sooty, tired and with a real respect for people that fight fires, esp. forest fires.

That is a nice photo of the plane.

We have watched the news where the only reason a person's house stood was the firefighter, we lived in Calif, and now in Florida, and both places have 'fire-season'!
We value the firefighter in our family!

His Star

« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2006, 11:13:51 pm »
Here's a pic of me pre-coin collecting. 

Do you have a source we should know about?  How can you collect  "pre-coins" in the air?
what is a "pre-coin" anyway?  Is that the flan?

Sorry, just being silly, and couldn't resist  . . . . it isn't my fault!  It's you know
who . . . . :evil:

Some real dare-devils on this forum....

basemetal

« Reply #357 on: August 20, 2006, 01:42:11 am »
Flying involves no dare-devil stunts.  With safe flying the greatest danger is driving to the airport.
Pre-coin simply means before I started collecting ancient coins. One of my best memories is of flying along and suddenly noticing two geese flying beside me.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #358 on: August 20, 2006, 01:44:37 am »
Hmm...looks quite different from the driver license picture.  Is this what long term coin collecting can do to a man;D

basemetal

« Reply #359 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:34 am »
Yes...ecoli...i certainly hope so.

basemetal

« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2006, 02:08:43 am »
His Star:
You are one lovely lady!
I was just scrolling up.

His Star

« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2006, 02:49:30 am »
One of my best memories is of flying along and suddenly noticing two geese flying beside me.

Oh gosh, somebody slap my hands quick, I am so tempted to ask:
did they honk before they passed you?

You know if they were flying upside down they could quack up. . .
ouch, sorry- that was ducks, ok, ok, I'm outta here!  :-*

Basemetal, thank you so much for the lovely compliment!  I went through the 'post a picture' photo album and the people on this forum are so beautiful!  I'm glad to be a member.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #362 on: September 01, 2006, 12:59:09 am »
Well, here are a series of photos.  One set shows my wife and her stages of progessive "hair loss".  One shows me and my progressive stage of facial hair addition.  The last one has a miscellaneous hodge-podge containing a photo of us on our honeymoon at the Maya ruins at Tulum on the Yucatan, one of an exact replica of Columbus' Nina (built by the descendants of the builders of the original ship) which sailed into Louisville's port, and the one of my son at one month old (today).  I hope to see more photos of you all...so get photographing and posting! ;)

Best, Noah

His Star

« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2006, 01:34:18 am »
One shows me and my progressive stage of facial hair addition. 
Best, Noah

Wonderful family!  Nice pics.
I am wondering tho.  . . .is that your model and goal for your beard growth?
Just the beard or the hair-do too?
Beautiful wife and baby!

School started, I will not be on the computer as much for a while.  I auditioned for a musical "She Loves Me" not much hopes of a part in it though.  Only two female leads and at least 25 females after each part!  One class is going to be fun, makeup and disguise, we have a new instructor and it looks like I will learn a lot in this class.

So I will check in every chance I get, but know I miss you guys when I am doing homework and attending classes!

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #364 on: September 01, 2006, 11:23:46 am »
Quote from: His Star on September 01, 2006, 01:34:18 am

I did not think of that!  I suppose I would go for it if I could.  Unfortunately, the misses won't allow it, and I subsequently shaved it down to the first photo length.  She said it was too scratchy and made me look scary... :(

Best, Noah

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2006, 05:01:49 pm »
The ship looks quite believable for 1492, but I wonder how much specific detail of the Nina is actually known. I suspect it's more generic than anything.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2006, 05:44:09 pm »
Quote from: His Star on September 01, 2006, 01:34:18 am

I did not think of that!  I suppose I would go for it if I could.  Unfortunately, the misses won't allow it, and I subsequently shaved it down to the first photo length.  She said it was too scratchy and made me look scary... :(

Best, Noah

Hehe...if mommy is not happy, no one is happy ;)

Being Chinese, I never have to shave my cheeks.  One of the advantage of being Asian :P 

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2006, 05:53:00 pm »
Here's a pic of me pre-coin collecting.  I used to fly, build, repair, and generally have one great time flying powered parachutes.  One of life's great pleasures, and the second-best feeling on earth. ;)

that looks like a blast

basemetal

« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2006, 06:44:19 pm »
Ecoli:

I never shave my cheeks either...well there was that one time after Ms. Basemetal saw some racy photos on the internet.....

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
« Reply #369 on: September 01, 2006, 07:21:58 pm »
Base

I hope you don't confuse different ends of the body too often ;)

basemetal

« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2006, 07:34:07 pm »
Ecoli:

Sadly, sometimes I do.  I often meet people and after getting to know them or dealing with them realize I have been trying to communicate with the wrong end. 

All of you-do not interpert ecoli's and my give and take with any form of cultural or racial prejudice.  Some of my best friends are.......Forum members. ;)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #371 on: September 01, 2006, 08:22:13 pm »
The ship looks quite believable for 1492, but I wonder how much specific detail of the Nina is actually known. I suspect it's more generic than anything.

Well, the historical preservation group that sponsored this worldwide tour of this Nina copy claimed that it was built according to the same specifications as the original.  They claimed this was possible due to fact that it was the descendants of the original builders who built this one.  Furthermore, they claimed to have some of the documents detailing specifics in the construction of the original.  Of course, nothing is completely certain since the original ship is not around anymore.  For all I know, they built this ship to resemble the original and are scamming everyone to make a buck...

Best, Noah

His Star

« Reply #372 on: September 01, 2006, 09:25:22 pm »
Ecoli:

Sadly, sometimes I do.  I often meet people and after getting to know them or dealing with them realize I have been trying to communicate with the wrong end. 

HA!   ;D

C. Caesar Germ.

« Reply #373 on: September 01, 2006, 11:23:02 pm »
Here I am with my two kids.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #374 on: September 02, 2006, 04:56:54 am »
Well, the historical preservation group that sponsored this worldwide tour of this Nina copy claimed that it was built according to the same specifications as the original.  They claimed this was possible due to fact that it was the descendants of the original builders who built this one.  Furthermore, they claimed to have some of the documents detailing specifics in the construction of the original.  Of course, nothing is completely certain since the original ship is not around anymore.  For all I know, they built this ship to resemble the original and are scamming everyone to make a buck...

Best, Noah

According to this page they found a group of shipbuilders still using the same techniques, but it says nothing about surviving documents: http://www.thenina.com/the_original_nina.htm . According to this one: http://www.evgschool.org/Columbus's%20Sailing%20Ships.htm , nobody knows for sure precisely what they were like, which is what I've always heard. My guess is that it's probably a pretty accurate caravel of the right size, with a bit of hype thrown in.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity