Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post a pic of you  (Read 132926 times)

Ghengis_Jon

Post a pic of you
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2005, 05:47:15 pm »
Gunner -  Almost time for the hospital?  She's barely showing!!  Your lovely wife will appreciate a petite 'Gunnerette' - both my boys came in at roughly 11 pounds!

Here's me and my pal Maggie.

Offline FORVM AUCTIONS

• FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS AUCTION LISTINGS
Re:Post a pic of you
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2005, 04:29:21 am »
Here is my latest one week old pic :)

Alex

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2005, 04:41:38 am »
Where was that taken? I wish I still had my old climbing photos but they were lost in a fire years ago.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline FORVM AUCTIONS

• FORVM STAFF
  • Consul
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS AUCTION LISTINGS
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2005, 08:54:08 am »
In the Carpathians, on an obscure 6000ft peak. Mountains have become my second largest mania besides coins lately :)

Sorry to hear about your pics. I guess another advantage for the digital pics we take today...

Mark Farrell

Re: Post a pic of you
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2005, 07:34:53 pm »
Well, I guess it's my turn. Photo is of three bums in Jacksonville, Florida, and one good woman (married to the bum in the middle). I'm the one on the left, teaching that palm tree a lesson it won't ever forget.   ;)

I pondered what photo to post here. Finally settled on this one. Never had big adventures. Don't have cool photos of me while traveling around the world. Just a pretty normal guy. And some of the members of the boards no doubt recognize that daily life can be a pretty big adventure sometimes, and that is fine too.

Three pretty normal, average, middle-aged guys. All of us missing one leg each. Two years ago the three of us rode bicycles as a team from Seattle, WA to Jacksonville, FL. Visited with amputee support groups along the way, as well as 15 rehab hospitals. With the notable exception of my marriage and my children, the single best thing I've done in my life to date. I am more proud of this than anything else. So it's a worthy topic to share, I guess.

Mark

PS -- check out www.amputeesacrossamerica.com for info about the folks doing the ride this year (from San Diego to Boston).

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2005, 04:27:47 am »
Quote from: FORVM AUCTIONS on April 04, 2005, 08:54:08 am
In the Carpathians, on an obscure 6000ft peak. Mountains have become my second largest mania besides coins lately :)

Sorry to hear about your pics. I guess another advantage for the digital pics we take today...

I agree, climbing mountains can get as addictive as collecting coins.  When I was younger, I climbed over 50 peaks in one summer in the Casades and Sierra Nevadas of California and a few random peaks in Nevada and Utah.  But that was a long time ago and before I moved to a tropical island and had a kid.

I did talk my wife into climbing Mt. Kina Balu, 4101 meters, on Borneo while she had just gotten pregnant with our daughter.  It has the biggest stairway in the world.  You really get tried of steps after awhile.

Now I live on a tropical island, in the Mariana Islands, with the highest point is 200 meters.  I do spend some time walking in the jungles and exploring caves.  You never know what you will find in the jungle because of all that is left over from when the Japanese ruled this area and World War II.  Still find live bombs in the jungle, which adds a little adventure to the hiking.

By the way, a volcano three islands (Anatahan) north of us sent a cloud of ash over my islands (Tinian) a week and a half ago.  It made the sky dark around 10:30 AM to about 1 PM.  I have added a picture of the sun that was taken around 10:30 in the morning.  It also made a great sunset.  I have added another picture of my daughter at the beach on that day.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2005, 01:52:31 pm »
If I had the money to go gadding around the world I don't think wild horses would drag me away from volcanoes! Of all nature's wonders, those are the ones which fascinate me yet. I've never seen one in action yet, but I will.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke Ã¥ unngÃ¥ fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2005, 06:19:16 pm »
If I had the money to go gadding around the world I don't think wild horses would drag me away from volcanoes! Of all nature's wonders, those are the ones which fascinate me yet. I've never seen one in action yet, but I will.

I was descending Ampato in May 2000 when Sabancaya boomed a column of ash and caused a "slush slide" shooting down the next arroyo. 

You can have them.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2005, 12:45:25 pm »
That sort of stuff's scary. I once sat in a valley off Glencoe in a sudden thaw and watched half a dozen gullies avalanche one after the other. Not the time to be caught in one!
Robert Brenchley

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2005, 05:01:01 pm »
My scariest experience up there was the first time I went in winter, I set out for a walk and ended up hepling to carry down my first dead body, a walker who was going along the edge of the cornice in a near whiteout (!!!!!!!!!). The inevitable happened, she fell through, went almost 1000 feet down the mountainside, and died as we were carrying her down to cloudbase to meet the helicopter. Not nice at all, she was screaming all the way till she died.
Robert Brenchley

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2005, 05:12:43 pm »
Hi Robert,
How long were you up here for? Did you do voluntary work with the Mountain Rescue?

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2005, 01:58:21 am »
I was around most winters in the latter half of the '70's, and got involved with all sorts of stuff.
Robert Brenchley

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2005, 11:51:19 am »
Same era as me. Fort William was my home from home throughout the seventies and early eighties. I always brought in the New Year there.

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2005, 04:38:38 pm »
I used to live down south and just go up when I could get away, unfortunately. I'd have given a lot to live at Fort Bill or anywhere up there.
Robert Brenchley

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2005, 09:45:37 pm »
The moment you have all not been waiting for, an up to date pic of me. :P Dressed as an 11th century Byzantine soldier, sans armour.
                                                    LordBest. 8)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2005, 09:52:21 pm »
LB, you continue to terrorize me!

Evan :o

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2005, 04:41:47 pm »
Ok let's face facts, here I am... After giving up hoping that I'll get a good pic of mine within a decent amount of time I made one myself; this is about correct, makes me neither uglier nor better-looking than I really am. 39 years, 180 cm, 90 kg. Note the Roma beside my neck :).

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2005, 07:06:22 pm »
Ave!

Well, here's something you don't do every day...hand-feeding stingrays.  8)

Just back from Grand Turk Island, BWI. These pix were taken on the tiny island of Gibb's Caye where the stingrays come in every afternoon to get some easy dinner.  Below is a big Atlantic Ray (3.5 feet tip-to-tip and about 75 pounds) coming right at you!  :o

Below is me, feeding the rays in about one foot of water. Swimming with them was another story.... ::)

Lot's of fun!

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2005, 01:58:09 am »
In the early 90's, before my daughter was born, I got a chance to SCUBA drive with Manta Rays in the German Channel at Yap.   I also enjoyed looking at the displays of stone money in several of the different villages we visited.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2005, 05:12:59 pm »
Ave!

Hi Guns! Ava's a real cute kid, my friend; you must have been holding your mouth just right!  ;)

Posted by: hcole_1989  Posted on: Yesterday at 11:58:09 PM 
Insert Quote 
In the early 90's, before my daughter was born, I got a chance to SCUBA drive with Manta Rays in the German Channel at Yap.   I also enjoyed looking at the displays of stone money in several of the different villages we visited. 

Howard, funny you should mention it. Sheri and I are off to Micronesia in November to scuba dive with the Mantas on Yap and hang with the sharks on Palau. Too Cool!

Posted by: ancientcoins  Posted on: Yesterday at 08:08:10 PM 
Insert Quote 
wow kevin! on my april vacation, i went to stingray city in the grand cayman islands... stingrays up to about 5 feet long!  u know i was white going into the water, lol. but once i touched my first one and just glided by, brushing against me, i was fine.  the feeding scared me though!  the thing was a vacuum, and almost sucked my hand right in with the squid!  also, when are you new uncleaneds going to be put up? and is the price still $1.85?

andrew 

Andy, you're lucky you kept your fingers OUT of their mouths. Those suckers have real crushers!

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2005, 05:43:47 pm »
Hi Mayadigger,

I live in Micronesia, so I have been to most of the different areas.  Can't say I have been to most of the islands, since there are thousands of them.

I have been to Palau (the wall dives are great!), Yap, Truk (didn't like the people, but great diving), Majuro (in the Marshall Islands), Pohnopei and Kosrae.  I have also been on all the settled islands in the Mariana Islands and one of the active volcanic islands up north (Pagan).

If any one makes it out to Tinian, I will be happy to show you around, except during June or July.  We are in California during that time.  By the way, there is a big sixtieth anniversary of the atomic bomb dropping happening here in August.  Four of the crewmembers, including Tibbits, of the Enola Gay will be here.

black-prophet

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2005, 03:21:37 pm »
Seeing all the Mountain pictures posted on this link makes me feel at home and has inspired me to post some of my own.I will give a brief decription of the pics from left to right.

1.That's me (in red circle) belaying the last pitch of the arduous 4000 ft ice and rock west face of Huanya Potosi alt.20,000+ ft.This was done in one 26 hour continuous push.Pic taken by an associate meeting up with us for much needed supplies and assistance.
2.Climbing 150ft wall of "plastic"(perfect climbing) ice on a glacier above base camp.
3.Me "zenning" out at a base camp before ascending what turned out to be an epic ascent during hurricane force winds of a 21,000ft peak in Bolivia.

The next set of pictures is why I became semi-retired from Mountain guiding and other extreme adventures.With another reason on the way in Nov.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2005, 03:35:58 pm »
I never got that far afield, but I used to do plenty on Scottish ice some years ago.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Goltbeeck

• Praetorian
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2005, 01:22:10 pm »
ice..... in a malt...???
Thats a waste of good malt.

:-[ Decebal

Massanutten

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2005, 04:00:43 pm »
    The sweaty old man is me (after helping my son lug a 200 lb dresser from my house to his)!  The beautiful angel is my brand new grand daughter, Sarah, born on the 17th of May, 2005!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity