Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Furius  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re:Furius
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 01:45:26 am »
A short look at this example confirms the hypothesis: "An object laying on TWO
curule chairs".

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 05:14:52 am »
One more image: Roma sitting on a curule chair. With this what is really depicted on the republican
denarii remains enigmatic for me...

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 09:32:18 pm »
    The Hadrian denarius, Commodus denarius, N.Cl. Drusus sestertius all show the curule chair from the side, therefore only the nearer pair of legs is shown.  The other pair, hidden from view, is to be imagined supporting the other end of the chair.
     The Republican denarii and Titus denarius show the chair from the front, therefore with both pairs of legs, but with the legs frontal rather than from the side as the perspective would dictate, so we can see their characteristic shape.
     I take it that the box-like element above the legs of the chair on the Republican denarii, Titus denarius, and relief is part of the chair, a more elaborate seating element, with decorated sides and perhaps incorporating a cushion.
     I don't know whether the extensions of the seating element beyond the position of the legs on the relief and the Republican denarii are really portions of the front of the chair as shown, or are meant to represent the sides of the seating element as Numerianus suggests.

Curtis Clay

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2004, 03:50:47 am »
Thank you, gentlemen, for the exhaustive explanations. I always admired the Roman
art. Apparently, the engravers used a particular language and "specific" means to depict  objects in the best way, using the knowledge available. "Specific" -  to avoid difficulties with two-dimensional presentation of three-dimensional objects.
The side views of sitting persons in the above examples allow us to imagine easily  the remaining details (such as the second pair of legs, e.g., hidden in the shadow). Possibly, the  depiction of a curule chair was a too compicated problem. It was solved just by rotating the low part (to show X-shape)  which is hardly to justify.   Of course, the reputation of the ancient artists could be saved if we interprete the chair as a "curule bisellium" but, unfortunately, there are no confirmations that a such one did exist.

Offline Alex

• Augustus
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 07:03:21 am »
Actually the Roman artists / engineers knew a lot about perspective only that they used more types of perspective than we usually do and understand now.  Often coins that we think they are crudely engraved by people with lack of perspective contain complicated patterns which only an architect can notice now.  I strongly recommend reading Marvin's book an ancient architecture on coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity