Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elagabalus with Telesphorus  (Read 1722 times)

Tacitvs

Elagabalus with Telesphorus
« on: October 06, 2004, 09:02:14 pm »
Just wanted to show off this interesting prov I got in the mail.

Elagabalus AE17 of Marcianopolis

OBV:

Tacitvs

Re:Elagabalus with Telesphorus
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 09:04:51 pm »
I bought this because I had never seen a Telesphorus rev. and I really like the dealers description - "looks exactly like a 5 year old in a Halloween ghost costume".  I must say I agree!

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 11:14:26 am »
Very nice coin Tacitvs. Thanks for showing.

This Telesphorus reverse gives me the chance for asking: why is he portrayed with a wide cloak and is he wearing such a hood?

Thanks in advance.
Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 02:03:27 pm »
Want to share my information:

Telesphoros is the talking name (= the accomplisher) of a greek healing god, which belongs to the most problematic figures of the greek history of religions. Late coming to the circle around Asklepios as 'new branch' or 'son of Asklepios', Telesphoros was intoduced by an oracle on the end of 1st century  AD in Pergamon. The first inscription now is dated to AD 98-102. From Pergamon his cult spread out fast.
Due to his 'pais'-shape (= boy-shape) and his hooded cloak Telesphoros is often identified with the 'genii cucullati', which were deities of fertility and healing, but death too.
(from Der kleine Pauly, Lexikon der Antike)

'Cucullus' was a hood fastened to a cloak. The name 'genii cucullati' was found in an inscription in a Celtic-Roman shrine at Webelsdorf/Austria. Genii cucullati are portrayed as dwarves, often carrying edds, or bags of money, sometimes with scrolls. They are assiocated with mother goddesses. They appear to be Celtic deities associated with fertility, prosperity, and possibly with renewal and rebirth.
http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/gallic.html

Regards,
Jochen

Offline SP88K

• Consul
  • The avarage person thinks he isn't.
    • Coin Traveler
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 02:14:53 pm »
This is what I found:
According to Robert Graves in his book Greek Myths:
Telesphorus was a guardian spirit of convalescence who was represented
wearing a hooded cape, the costume of those who had just recovered from
illness.
Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimension.

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 02:15:34 pm »
Do you think Elagabalus was trying to connect himself with Caracalla here?  Same hooded cloak?
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 02:30:16 pm »
Thank you all for comments and information; in my opinion SP88K's quote sounds very likely.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity