Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644
« on: February 23, 2004, 04:38:32 pm »

Silver-mixture mm19

D/ VRBANVS  VIII P. MAX
R/ St. Michael Archangel demolishes the Demon.

The reverse is interesting because for the first time I see the Demon represented on a coin.

ser  

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: Pope URBANUS VIII (Barberini) 1623-1644
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 04:56:37 pm »
Dear Sir:

You have indeed seen a demon.  I think the coin is a Muntoni Number 195, described as "S. Michele scaccia Lucifero."  So your coin shows the Archangel and the greatest demon of them all.  The coin is a quattrino.

Urban VIII issues much better demons.  On the huge silver "piastra" you will get a much better look at "Lucifero" and "Sancto Michele," too. Muntoni No. 34, another piastra -- which is about 20 percent heavier than a U.S. silver dolar -- shows our hero besting no less than four demons.

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity