Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 02:48:10 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  The Never-Ending Cleaning Competition (Moderators: Dino, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Round #6 Stickman's Before and Afters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Round #6 Stickman's Before and Afters  (Read 3544 times)
stickman
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:57:14 pm »

My coins arrived today and here they are.
whitetd49
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

FEL TEMP REPARATIO

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 06:39:14 pm »

Hmm, those are going to clean up nicely.  Perhaps there will be competition for TKE96!

If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349
TKE96
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:09:23 am »

Do two of those even need any cleaning?!? I think you will be quite pleased. Smiley
stickman
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:56:33 am »

The two probably won't need much but the other three are going to be some work.  Can't wait to get at them. Grin
bruce61813
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 08:13:45 am »

I have set this one as sticky, so that it would not get lost, iif it is not ready for Round 6, that will not be a problem.

Bruce
stickman
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 02:19:09 pm »

Here are the finished coins...One of them was a little disappointing, but overall I’m pleased.

Coin Number    1
Type:   Constantine I Æ3 306-337
Obverse Legend:   CONSTAN-TINVS AVG
Obverse:   Laureate head right
Reverse Legend:   PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG
Reverse:   Campgate with 2 turrets, star between.Dot in right field.
Exergue:   SMTSG
Reference:   RIC VII Thessalonica 153
Notes:   Early issue: campgate not decorated. Rated C3

Coin Number    2
Type:   Æ Antoninianus
Obverse Legend:   IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG?
Obverse:   Radiate cuirassed bust right
Reverse Legend:   SOLI INVICTO?
Reverse:   Sol walking left with orb, hand raised, between two captives, treading one down.
Exergue:   ?
Reference:   RIC 154, Cohen 234?
Notes:   This coin was not in great shape, under the dirt was a pretty mushy surface.  The blobs that remain on the surface are remnants of silvering so I left them.

Coin Number    3
Type:   Gallienus Æ Antoninianus 253-268
Obverse Legend:   IMP GALLIENVS AVG
Obverse:   Radiate head right
Reverse Legend:   APOLLINI CONS AVG
Reverse:   Gryphon walking left
Exergue:   D?
Reference:   RIC 165, RSC 77
Notes:   This coin looks as if another coin was smashed against it.  There is an impression the size and shape of a coin visible on the obverse.

Coin Number    4
Type:   Valens Æ3 364-367
Obverse Legend:   DN VALEN-S PF AVG
Obverse:   Pearl diadem, draped, cuirassed bust right
Reverse Legend:   GLORIA RO-MANORVM
Reverse:   Emperor advancing right dragging captive with right hand and holding labarum in left
Exergue:   dot BSISC
Reference:   RIC IX Siscia 5b, type ii
Notes:   Rated C

Coin Number    5
Type:   Licinius I  Follis 313-315
Obverse Legend:   IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG
Obverse:   Laureate head right
Reverse Legend:   IOVI CON-SERVATORI
Reverse:   Jupiter standing left, Chamlys (cloak) hanging from left shoulder, holding Victory on globe/Leaning on scepter, eagle at foot with wreath in its beak.B in right field
Exergue:   SIS
Reference:   RIC VII Siscia 8
Notes:   Rated R1

Here they are after waxing.
Bluefish
Comitia Curiata II
Consul

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 03:37:36 pm »

Dan, looks like you had a tough go of it with some of those coins. Nice job considering what you had to work with. Of course the three came out in your usual championship style!
WTG.

HAM & EGGS-a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.  
The only difference between a rut & a grave is the depth
stickman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 03:56:15 pm »

Yes, they were tough....

Thanks, Peter!
sboscovitch
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 09:56:49 pm »

Dan,

I had a question about your waxing.  You use beeswax, correct?  I've been able to get a hold on two small cubes of beeswax.  It is very, very hard.  How do you go about waxing?  Do you heat the wax?  The coin?  Am I using the right beeswax (if there are different beeswaxes?)  I bought my wax at a healthfood store.

Thanks, and good job with your coins!

-Steve
stickman
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 04:00:51 pm »

Hi Steve!
You're correct I do use beeswax.  I give the coin it's final little scrub with very warm water and nylon brush with some dish soap, the liquid kind, I use Dawn...the dish soap brand, not my wife. Grin
 I then dry them with a paper towel and put them in very close proximity to a light bulb for several minutes.  This does two things.  It dries the coin before waxing and heats the coin so that the wax will flow.  While the coin is still very warm I place it on a paper towel and lightly rub the hard wax on it, it melts easily and you can then spread it around, flip it over and do the other side.  I wipe off the excess with the towel and then give it a little buff with either a clean part of the towel or a soft nylon brush, like a toothbrush.
You can also thin the beeswax, I think with spirits (mineral).  If I remember right Robert B. told me he thinned his wax maybe he will chime in on that.
There are different grades of beeswax but if it's 100% pure beeswax it should be fine.

BTW, Thanks for the Kudos.

Dan
Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 03:00:07 pm »

I thin it with pure turpentine, using a traditional method om making furniture polish. It works fine on coins. Just heat the two together, give it a good stir, and pour it into whatever container you're using. Don't use plastic, the turpentine's likely to soften it.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Sherrye
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 02:50:23 pm »

I then dry them with a paper towel and put them in very close proximity to a light bulb for several minutes.  This does two things.  It dries the coin before waxing and heats the coin so that the wax will flow.  While the coin is still very warm

I read somewhere to place them in a 200 degree oven for an hour before waxing - I have been doing this so I hope this doesn't hurt them  Huh

Dan, I think they should create a new category for you - best photographed coins   Smiley

Sherrye
sboscovitch
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:08:38 pm »

200 degrees...  I dunno.  I always thought that was a little warm for them.  I've had some problems (read "I've messed up some coins") at that temperature.  I normally go for around 125-150.  But, from my experience, heating the coins does help.  

The time in oven (1 hour) may be a little long too.  Probably no more than 5 or 10 minutes is sufficient to warm them to the point we need them to be so that we can wax them.

Any one have any thoughts on this?

-Steve
Sherrye
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 03:24:12 pm »

The time in oven (1 hour) may be a little long too.  Probably no more than 5 or 10 minutes is sufficient to warm them to the point we need them to be so that we can wax them.
I was told the heat was necessary to dry the water from the coins (I soak in DI water) before sealing them with wax...
sboscovitch
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 07:22:02 am »

Yeah, that is the reason you do it.  I'm just not sure you need to do it for an hour.  I have read that if you let the coins air dry, and then soak in rubbing alcohol, then put them in the oven, you don't have to leave them in as long, or at as high a temp, because the alcohol evaporates much more rapidly.

-Steve
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 06:36:06 pm »

I've been using a hair dryer, warms them up enough to get wax flowing.

Also, be careful heating beeswax and turpentine. I make my own gunstock finishing wax with beeswax, turpentine and linseed oil, and have had success melting the wax on a halogen shop light or coffee maker hotplate. Open flame and turpentine (or waxes for that matter) can be bad for the complexion in a rather permanent way.

And you can find beeswax at art supply stores in large blocks, enough to last a lifetime, if you were having trouble locating it.

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
sboscovitch
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:11:28 am »

Thanks for the tip as to the art store.  I have had difficulty finding beeswax and had never thought of the art store being a source.  I'll go check that out today!

-Steve
Varangian
Caesar

Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2004, 09:59:56 am »

I've found some nifty furniture polishing cloths impregnated with pure beeswax.

I just warm the coin, fold it in one of these cloths, rub it between my fingers, and buff with a baby's toothbrush.

Works pretty well, I think.
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2004, 11:43:33 am »

A couple of online beeswax suppiers:

by the gram or kilo:
http://www.kettlebyherbfarms.com/itmidx44.htm

Crude beeswax, you could skim it and purify yourself:
http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_details~pid~W1015.aspx

Check hobby and craft stores too, beeswax is usedin candlemaking, soap making and various other crafts. Gunstock and furniture/woodworking suppliers should have it too. Google seach "beeswax" and you get a toe of online sources if you can't find something local.

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2005, 07:36:24 am »

I think if you had cleaned number 2 a bit more (well a lot more), you might have won again.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  The Never-Ending Cleaning Competition (Moderators: Dino, casata137ec)  |  Topic: Round #6 Stickman's Before and Afters « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop