Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: East celtic/Dacian coins  (Read 3719 times)

Adrian

East celtic/Dacian coins
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:02:29 am »
 I was curious if there's anyone here collecting this kind of coins.

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
Re: East celtic/Dacian coins
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 12:55:21 am »
I was curious if there's anyone here collecting this kind of coins.

I do, but I think of them as Thracian coins. I know people have different views about this.

The Thracians dominated, well, Thrace, the region to the north and east of Greece bordering on the Aegean Sea and Black Sea. The Celts had their own small nation within Thrace, but only c. 279-211 BC before it was destroyed by the Thracians. The Dacians occupied lands further from Greece, north of the Danube River.

I believe that most of the imitatives that are frequently found in Bulgaria were minted by the ancient Thracians, who occupied land that is currently Bulgaria. The Celts occupied lands further west in current-day France, Netherlands, Britain, and so on.

Celtic coinage, particularly the issues that copied Philip II coins, differs from Thracian coinage in styling, with the former being fluid, curvilinear, and rubbery and the latter angular, pointillistic, and geometric.

I've acquired what I consider Thracian imitatives of Alexander the Great style gold, silver, and bronze coins, Thasos Dionysos and Herakles tetradrachms, Mesembria war helmet coins, Istros inverted heads coins, Parion Medusa/Gorgon hemidrachm, Cherronesos lion head hemidrachm, and Lysimachos Attic helmet bronze. You?
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

Offline Volodya

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
    • Imitations of Roman Republican Denarii
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:54:23 pm »
Perhaps you'd be interested in my web site:
http://rrimitations.ancients.info/index.html

Phil Davis

Offline Reid Goldsborough

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:07:42 pm »
Good stuff, Phil. Among other things I found interesting your discussion of the debate about the origin of non-barbarized denarii found in Romania. I enjoyed your Celator article about this too. The coins are nice too. :)
oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity