Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 05:59:03 pm
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic Coins  |  Topic: East celtic/Dacian coins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: East celtic/Dacian coins  (Read 1964 times)
Adrian
« on: February 23, 2005, 03:02:29 am »

I was curious if there's anyone here collecting this kind of coins.
Reid Goldsborough
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:55:21 pm »

I was curious if there's anyone here collecting this kind of coins.

I do, but I think of them as Thracian coins. I know people have different views about this.

The Thracians dominated, well, Thrace, the region to the north and east of Greece bordering on the Aegean Sea and Black Sea. The Celts had their own small nation within Thrace, but only c. 279-211 BC before it was destroyed by the Thracians. The Dacians occupied lands further from Greece, north of the Danube River.

I believe that most of the imitatives that are frequently found in Bulgaria were minted by the ancient Thracians, who occupied land that is currently Bulgaria. The Celts occupied lands further west in current-day France, Netherlands, Britain, and so on.

Celtic coinage, particularly the issues that copied Philip II coins, differs from Thracian coinage in styling, with the former being fluid, curvilinear, and rubbery and the latter angular, pointillistic, and geometric.

I've acquired what I consider Thracian imitatives of Alexander the Great style gold, silver, and bronze coins, Thasos Dionysos and Herakles tetradrachms, Mesembria war helmet coins, Istros inverted heads coins, Parion Medusa/Gorgon hemidrachm, Cherronesos lion head hemidrachm, and Lysimachos Attic helmet bronze. You?

oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com
Volodya
Procurator Monetae
Consul

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 06:54:23 pm »

Perhaps you'd be interested in my web site:
http://rrimitations.ancients.info/index.html

Phil Davis

Reid Goldsborough
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 08:07:42 pm »

Good stuff, Phil. Among other things I found interesting your discussion of the debate about the origin of non-barbarized denarii found in Romania. I enjoyed your Celator article about this too. The coins are nice too. Smiley

oldestcoins.reidgold.com
athenianowlcoins.reidgold.com
alexanderthegreatcoins.reidgold.com
medusacoins.reidgold.com
thracecoins.reidgold.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Celtic Coins  |  Topic: East celtic/Dacian coins « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop