Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Grierson on Calvary request  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Grierson on Calvary request
« on: April 15, 2021, 10:13:23 am »
Grierson "Byzantine Coins" (1982) on p. 36 writes something about a type of cross set upon a schematically rendered rock of Calvary. I wonder what he writes about this and what Byzantine coin he is referencing, so I am hoping that a forum member who owns the book would be so kind to look this up.

I encountered the quote with this Byzantine seal: https://www.doaks.org/resources/seals/byzantine-seals/BZS.1955.1.1458/view
Regards
Gert

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Grierson on Calvary request
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 10:37:35 am »
I purchased the book for just a few dollars (!) but haven't had the chance to read it yet.  I will try and look into your question in the coming days--but if someone has it at hand, by all means, please help Gert.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:39:00 am »
Hi,

He is referencing the cross calvary, or the cross on steps, seen on many of the solidi of the period, first introduced by Tiberius II.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 11:27:02 am »
Thanks! That explains a lot. I thought he was referencing the variant as seen on the seal, which I could not remember ever seeing on a coin.
Best regards
Gert

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
I just took a shot of the paragraph. I see the question has been answered.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity