Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unusual gilt uniface 'fraction' for Constantius I  (Read 439 times)

maximinvs

Unusual gilt uniface 'fraction' for Constantius I
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:59:48 pm »
Hi list,
First post in a very long time...

I thought I would share this 'fraction' with the forum, it's an unusual piece, maybe not even classified as a coin, though it is clearly inspired by one.

I would best describe it as a "small gilt uniface medallion of quinarius module", 15mm, 1.9g

Obverse: Constantius I laureate draped right, CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES
Reverse: blank

I am confident it is not a modern concoction, the gilt plating is only present on the obverse and has rubbed on the high points and the exposed bronze has an old smooth patina, there is some bronze disease in places, the reverse has no clear indication of removal of a reverse design. In places the edge shows evidence of filing, as if the flan eccentricities had been worked for better roundness.

The portraiture looks quite official to me, as if it was made or derived from an actual quinarius, the style looks like 'Rome' mint to me, quite similar to some argentei portraits from that mint, though I haven't been able to find a prototype that could have inspired this.

My best guess is that this was once mounted in jewelry, perhaps for a finger ring?

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what others might think about this unusual piece.

Thanks,
Ian

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Unusual gilt uniface 'fraction' for Constantius I
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 12:17:02 pm »
Fascinating object.

Your guess sounds plausible.  Someone was looking for a nice small coin for something like a ring bezel.  Found this one, filed the reverse flat, plated it in gold and voila.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:08:36 pm »
Probably quinarius. Probably PRINCIPI... type. The outline of prince with spear and globe - an "V" over his head - is stiil visible on reverse (but you need to turn the picture).

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

maximinvs

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 11:07:01 am »
Probably quinarius. Probably PRINCIPI... type. The outline of prince with spear and globe - an "V" over his head - is stiil visible on reverse (but you need to turn the picture).

Thanks Lech, you much have better eyes than me, I will admit I am struggling to find the Prince on the reverse!!!
The weight is within the range for a quinarius though, some can be well over 2g, so even after losing some material from filing a quinarius could still be 1.9g.
So I am satisfied it is a worked quinarius. I haven't found an obverse die match though, which is little surprising for such rarities.

A look at the quinarii on acsearch shows a surprising range of portrait styles, suggesting the dies were produced by a number of celators...

Cheers,
Ian

All coins are guaranteed for eternity