Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian cistophorus fouree or just light?  (Read 359 times)

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
Domitian cistophorus fouree or just light?
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:11:10 pm »
Hi, folks,

I hope this is the correct board for this post. I recently won a Forvm member auction for the coin below (Domitian RIC 843). Max diameter is 24.7 mm; mass is 7.89 g. It doesn't look like a fourree to me -- no plating breaks with a different metal underneath -- but it is about two grams light. I would very much appreciate any expert opinions from the board. Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth, I bid on it knowing that the weight was low and was happy to pay what I did regardless of the outcome.

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Domitian cistophorus fouree or just light?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 04:43:17 pm »
These are usually of good silver, minted in Rome for the east.  Mine comes in at 10.6g.  I think yours is a combination of wear and crystallization

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-141965

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:02:25 pm »
Thanks for the input, Jay. That is a beautiful coin in your collection! I am fascinated that these were minted for export; that practice wasn't very common, was it?

Cheers,
Tim

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:07:52 pm »
Thanks Tim.  The Flavians actually minted several coins in Rome for the east.  Not sure if any Julio-Claudians did, none come to mind.

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 05:07:43 am »
Hi Tim,

I can't tell from the picture whether your coin is plated or not.

However, I do know for a fact that plated cistophori do exist.

This one is from my collection weighs 8.61 grams.

Alberto

Offline Tim M

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 03:26:38 pm »
Thanks for the response, Alberto. I did see one other cistophorus fouree on the Online Coins of the Roman Empire site, though it was not of Domitian. Maybe one day I'll get some expert eyes on my coin in person.

Cheers,
Tim

All coins are guaranteed for eternity