Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: roman coin cleaning 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: roman coin cleaning  (Read 89 times)
Mark L7
Legionary

mlee

« on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:11 am »

how can i clena this roman coin?
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 02:44:13 pm »

You can't clean an invisible coin!!

Welcome to the forum.  I might be wrong but I don't believe that you can post images until you have posted a few messages.  That or it just didn't upload.

In any event, I suggest you spend some hours reading through the posts in this thread.  there are all kinds of ideas that will give you a head start.

Then when you can post a pic of your coin people can give you more guidance.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Mark L7
Legionary

mlee

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 02:54:08 am »

coin

* 16FF5223-A30D-4AB6-B5F4-BF8A5FC58DCF.jpeg (725.82 KB, 2971x2957 - viewed 2 times.)
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 02:10:21 pm »

Mark,

It is hard to be certain from a photo but what I think I am seeing is unfortunately not something that can be much improved.

It doesn't look like it has stuff on it - accretions that can be removed - as much as already suffering from corrosion.

I have had several coins in this condition.  The darker, higher bits are the remains of the original surface.  The lighter green bits appear to be recessed pits.  This is where 'bronze disease" (BD) has eaten away at the surface.

The best hope is for a cleaner version with the same pits.  But the danger is that the remaining parts are unstable - undermined by the BD - and will flake off.

If this were my coin, the first thing I would do is brush it with a very soft brush - a soft toothbrush or even small art paintbrush.  This will reveal whether the light green bits are still powdery and can be brushed off or are just remaining stains.  It would also reveal whether the whole surface is stable or flaking apart.

If it survived that, I would then brush very gently while wetting it in water - warmed distilled water (DW) if possible.

Finally, there is the danger that the BD continues.  For this I would bake the coin in the oven at low heat for a while to remove all remaining moisture.

Like I said, none of this may work as the coins is pretty far gone, but you might get lucky.  Sometimes with larger coins like this one  they can be stabilized.  But don't expect miracles.

While you are in the cleaning phase you can read more in the uncleaned thread about bronze disease and its treatment.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Mark L7
Legionary

mlee

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:29:55 am »

Is it a good way to soak this coin in distilled water for a long time?
Bill W4
Consul

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 01:00:18 am »

It can't hurt, but I don't think you can improve this coin with cleaning.  Maybe I'm wrong, would like to see what you wind up with. 

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion  |  Topic: roman coin cleaning « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop