Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assume this is a Fake Owl?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Assume this is a Fake Owl?
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:59:50 pm »
I was perusing a popular auction site where I never buy coins, but I look from time to time. The coin here screams fake to me, but I am not experienced in this at all. The seller has no feedback and may be a new account. It is not on the fake sellers list, but I am thinking maybe it should be. What do you all think? I will not name the seller until the coin is judged to be fake by you experts. I have no intention of bidding on it fake or not, I am trying to confirm my abilities to pick out what I think is an obvious fake.

Virgil

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Assume this is a Fake Owl?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:00:42 pm »
It looks like a cast coin to me, having the same appearance as an example on this webpage (near the bottom of the page at 13.2 grams):

http://rg.ancients.info/owls/forgeries.html

Is there a weight listed for your coin in question?

Online djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:29 pm »
Not only is it a fake, it is a cast of an earlier fake.  Fakers often use other fake coins to make more fake coins because it is much easier to get a fake coin from which to make cast than to get a real coin.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:03:48 pm »
Thanks, I was just sure this one was cast, seems obvious to me. No width or weight given.

Virgil

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:56:53 am »
Or horn silver?

Ross G.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 01:10:31 pm »
Or horn silver?

Maybe not out of the realm of possibility, but the coins I’ve seen with bad cases of hornsilver still have better detail visible underneath the hornsilver than what I see on this coin. The explanation of a cast of a fake seems to fit the subdued detail on this coin. Too bad we don’t have a weight, because if this coin is like the 13.2 gram example on Reid’s webpage, it would be more evidence for a cast coin (I think a genuine example even with a bad case of hornsilver would still have a higher weight than 13 grams).

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 05:34:37 pm »
I am confident this is fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS