Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Sarmatia Devicta OTD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sarmatia Devicta OTD  (Read 128 times)
wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« on: April 05, 2021, 04:18:52 am »

Nothing rare, but a nice little example of one of my favorite types.

Constantine I

CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate right / SARMATIA DEVICTA, Victory delivering a rather vicious kick to a surprised looking Sarmatian
STR  crescent in exergue.

RIC 435, Choice EF

The patina is a gloss black in hand, which is a bit challenging to capture on an Android phone. Still, I think I did well!

* sarmatia stitch2.jpg (985.73 KB, 3226x1696 - viewed 9 times.)

quadrans
Tribunus Plebis 2019
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 08:12:26 am »

Nice coin 👍

Q.

*Alex
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 12:41:14 pm »

Nice coin with nice details and you did well with the photo too.

Alex

Heliodromus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 07:28:26 pm »

Nice coin!

I think RIC may have the order of the two Trier Sarmatia issues (RIC 429, 435) reversed, so that your type with P/STR crescent comes first. That way we have synced mintmarks for the first issue of this type at all of London, Trier and Lyons (PLON crescent, PTR crescent, PLG crescent). The bust styles seem to support this. Arles, as per usual, was doing somewhat of it's own thing, using "P*AR".

Was this taken in sunlight ?

Ben
okidoki
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 08:59:16 pm »

indeed great looks

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 10:00:36 pm »

Thanks everybody!

Nice coin!

I think RIC may have the order of the two Trier Sarmatia issues (RIC 429, 435) reversed, so that your type with P/STR crescent comes first. That way we have synced mintmarks for the first issue of this type at all of London, Trier and Lyons (PLON crescent, PTR crescent, PLG crescent). The bust styles seem to support this. Arles, as per usual, was doing somewhat of it's own thing, using "P*AR".

Was this taken in sunlight ?

Ben

Yes, this was taken in sunlight (on a cloudy day). I've found that sunny days don't work well for photographing bronze, and I haven't been able to get artificial light to work.

Heliodromus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 10:49:56 pm »

Yes, this was taken in sunlight (on a cloudy day). I've found that sunny days don't work well for photographing bronze, and I haven't been able to get artificial light to work.

Yep, full sun tends to make most bronzes look very rough. In the past the past I've tried taping clear polythene or bubble-wrap to the window as a diffuser, which can help, but not the most convenient.

I've yet to find a lighting setup that I'm happy with. My next attempt will be a bright LED panel light with a diffuser in front of it - something that hopefully might come close to the desirable qualities of sunlight - a large bright, diffused (on the right day), unidirectional source.

Ben
quadrans
Tribunus Plebis 2019
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 08:07:04 pm »

I have both of the Trier types: RIC 429 and RIC VII 435,

RIC 429 :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-130859

Interesting one, of the 436 var because this is thicker (double) and very high weight, weight: 5,22g !!! , thickness: 2,6mm !!! , :

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-84612

And of course, I have a piece of Sirmium too:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-89372
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-82892

Regards

Joe/Q.

wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 10:44:09 pm »

Quote from: quadrans on April 06, 2021, 08:07:04 pm

I wonder if your double weight example is actually two flans which got stuck (and then struck) together?

The first Sirmium piece is spectacular.

To round us out (apart from Arles and London...), here's my Lugdunum example (RIC 214) with the crescent mintmark, which would sync (to use Ben's word) with my Trier piece above. Constantine is looking a bit bug-eyed...

quadrans
Tribunus Plebis 2019
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 11:52:08 pm »

Yes, the double-thick coin really looks like a one-piece, rarity, found on the NOT IN RIC page ...
I like the London piece I don't have a piece of it yet. I have a few more of the others.

best regards

Joe

David Atherton
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 05:11:40 am »

Super coin Evan. I bet it's really impressive in hand.

otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:32:00 pm »

Nice.

I always liked this coin type, and the related ALAMANNIA DEVICTA.

At a time when most reverse legends were becoming more generic, or at least less clear as to whether they were referring to any specific event, we still have these two types linked to specific military victories just like the great sestertii of the 1st and 2nd centuries.

Plus, unlike those sestertii, it is possible for us normal folks to acquire near-perfect examples.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Virgil H
Consul

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 02:38:03 am »

Beautiful coin and I wish I could get my photography that good.
Virgil
Heliodromus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 03:32:06 pm »

One of the interesting things with Constantine's reign is the changing cast and territories due to various factors, one of which was Constantine's giving control of Gaul to Crispus in 317 AD, as we see reflected in the coinage. While Crispus's mints *roughly* followed the types being issued elsewhere by Constantine, there were some major differences, such as this Sarmatia Devicta type.

At Constantine's mints starting c.320 AD we have his new "VOT XX" type, initially issued alongside "VOT V" for the caesars, then continuing with "VOT X". At the same time Crispus instead initially issued "BEATA TRANQVILITAS" (with Constantine's vows relegated to the VO-TIS XX altar inscription), ignored the "VOT V" type, then issued "SARMATIA DEVICTA" alongside "VOT X" :

Crispus                        Constantine

BEATA TRAQVILITAS (VO-TIS XX)  VOT XX, VOT V
SARMATIA DEVICTA, VOT X        VOT XX, VOT X

Put against this pattern, we see Arles basically following Constantine's pattern of vota issues, but additionally issuing SARMATIA DEVICTA (presumably starting at the same time as the other mints, alongside VOT X). We see another sign of Arles independence from Crispus in the earlier VIRTVS EXERCIT issue, which at London, Trier and Lyons (but not Arles) had included a trophy as well as vota-standard type.

I'm not sure how specific the ancient sources are on exactly what territory was controlled by Crispus, but per the coinage it seems to be the mints of London, Trier and Lyons, but NOT Arles. If we map this to administrative areas, this implies Crispus had control of the dioceses of Galliae and Britanniae, but not of Viennensis (containing Arles).

It's not clear, to me at least, exactly where Constantine's battles against the Sarmatians, at this time, had occurred. The Sarmatians are generally an eastern tribe, but certainly later ventured as far west as Pannoniae which they invaded. It's not obvious therefore whether the "SARMATIA DEVICTA" type had any particular local relevance to Gaul in terms of border security (certainly not to Arles!), or was just commemorating Constantine's victories further east. The only other mint to issue the "SARMATIA DEVICTA" type was Sirmium over in the east.

Here's my Arles specimens of the type. Arles showing it's independence by also issuing cuirassed busts.

Ben

* Diocletians dioceses and provinces.jpg (410.22 KB, 2153x1394 - viewed 2 times.)

* Constantine I Sarmatia Devicta Arles 322-323 (RIC VII Arles 257) 19mm 2.7g.jpg (189.02 KB, 800x395 - viewed 1 times.)

* Constantine I Sarmatia Devicta Arles 322-323 (RIC VII Arles 258 R4) cuirassed 20mm 2.79g.jpg (433.21 KB, 800x388 - viewed 0 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Sarmatia Devicta OTD « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop