Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help ID of mount.  (Read 561 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Need help ID of mount.
« on: March 31, 2021, 05:59:34 pm »
Hello,

I've been trying to ID these mounts but the bottom one I can't seem to find. The upper one should be celtic style belt mount from the late 2nd century. But the bottom one has me clueless as I can't seem to find one that matches style-wise. I suspect a trumpet style mount, can anyone confirm this ? :) It weighs arround 10 grams and is 53mm long.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Need help ID of mount.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:15 pm »
Same general era.  If you flip it the other way you can see the stylized dolphin in the centre of the design.

They date roughly 150-225 AD.

The top one is known as Klosterneuberg style after the finds at that abbey just north of Vienna.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 10:48:23 am »
Same general era.  If you flip it the other way you can see the stylized dolphin in the centre of the design.

They date roughly 150-225 AD.

The top one is known as Klosterneuberg style after the finds at that abbey just north of Vienna.

SC

Would these have been mounted on the main belt friend and was the find in a military context?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:26:59 pm »
Yes, they would have been mounted on a leather belt not much wider than them.  Just riveted to the leather.  It is thought that the leather was often dyed as traces of read leather belts have been found on Roman military sites in the desert.

So they likely looked like shiny brass or silver color (if tinned) on a red or black belt.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 09:54:41 am »
Yes, they would have been mounted on a leather belt not much wider than them.  Just riveted to the leather.  It is thought that the leather was often dyed as traces of read leather belts have been found on Roman military sites in the desert.

So they likely looked like shiny brass or silver color (if tinned) on a red or black belt.

SC

Must have looked impressive! cheers  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity