Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Matching dies on early Titus denarii  (Read 636 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Matching dies on early Titus denarii
« on: March 27, 2021, 09:00:51 am »
Hi all
Yesterday i received a nice denarius of Titus from early on in his reign (struck 24th june-31 dec 79 AD), showing Ceres on the reverse.
However, i just noticed that the obverse has a matching die with another Titus denarius in my collection, showing Annona. That one is also from 79 AD.
I dont know if it's really special to have two coins with different reverses but matching obverses, but i thought was nice to share with you guys :)
Also cool to speculate what these coins might have encountered during their time of circulation, being struck within months (or even days?) of the Vesuvius eruption, and maybe still circulating in Rome around the time of the opening games in the Colosseum :)

Gr Luuk

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Matching dies on early Titus denarii
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:14:25 am »
Interesting.

What did you do in the bottom photos?  Cut into quarters and insert from alternating coins??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 09:25:10 am »
Yeah i cut the pictures in 4 parts and overlapped them with two parts of original coin with two parts of the other coin. It helps to identify them as matching dies

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 04:22:34 pm »
Your Annona and Ceres types, along with the dated type TR POT VIII COS VII, captive kneeling below trophy, comprised Titus' first issue of denarii as Augustus, obviously struck between 24 June 79, when Vespasian died and Titus became Augustus, and 1 July 79, when Titus became TR P VIIII, whereas on the dated type of the first issue he is still TR P VIII. See RIC Titus 1-3.

So it is no surprise, but still nice confirmation of the apparent simultaneity of these three rev. types, to observe that examples of at least two of them were struck from the same obv. die. A nice coincidence that two such die-linked denarii found their way into your collection!
Curtis Clay

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 03:26:10 am »
 A neat trick to cut and paste the pictures the way you did. One to remember :)

Clueless

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 05:17:56 am »
Your Annona and Ceres types, along with the dated type TR POT VIII COS VII, captive kneeling below trophy, comprised Titus' first issue of denarii as Augustus, obviously struck between 24 June 79, when Vespasian died and Titus became Augustus, and 1 July 79, when Titus became TR P VIIII, whereas on the dated type of the first issue he is still TR P VIII. See RIC Titus 1-3.

So it is no surprise, but still nice confirmation of the apparent simultaneity of these three rev. types, to observe that examples of at least two of them were struck from the same obv. die. A nice coincidence that two such die-linked denarii found their way into your collection!

That's really cool to be able to accurately pinpoint the date of these coins to a single week in history! My previous 'record' was accuracy to a single month (Nerva COS IIII denarius). Hopefully i will find a denarius with matching die with the TRP VIII reverse to complete this series ;D

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:44:19 am »
Very nice additions.  As Curtis mentioned, confirmation of the coins being struck simultaneously.  There are a few Flavian collectors here.  Check mine, David, Andrew's or Alberto's gallery to spot other die links.

Several miles exist where an inverse of Titus is used with a reverse of Vespasian.  In fact there are enough of them that they have their own RIC numbers!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-156186

All coins are guaranteed for eternity