Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Provincial Coins (Moderators: slokind, jmuona, tjaart)  |  Topic: Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin  (Read 141 times)
Thilo
Consul

« on: March 15, 2021, 10:31:22 am »

Hi,

lately I received a beautiful Geta coin from Amasia/Pontos.

33 mm, 18.11 grm., 6h

Obv.: Bare, draped and cuirassed bust of Geta in circle of pearls right, legend within second circle of pearls: [...]EPTIMI GE[...]C KEC [...]

Rv.: Athena with shield in her right and spear in her left standing r., legend: [...] C MHT NE PR PON, in field: ET CH, thus indication it has been minted in 205/6 AD.

The reverse is different from RG 70, and the only similar obverse I have found is from a 2020 auction: https://www.biddr.com/auctions/numismatiknaumann/browse?a=1195&l=1266366 (hope this link is ok under the policies).

Now, I do not have Dalaison, but if someone does, I would of course be interested if the coin (or at least the obverse die) is listed.

I find this representation of Geta very special and quite beautiful - I would also be interested in why this uncommon double pearl border was chosen.

Any input is highly appreciated, as always.

Thank you and all the best.

Thilo

* Amasia.jpg (279.89 KB, 1300x607 - viewed 20 times.)
Thilo
Consul

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 03:57:44 pm »

Well, so, sometimes you have to help yourself. I was lucky enough to pick up a cheap copy of Dalaison from an antiquarian.

And my coins is not recorded, there, either. However, the obverse die is, Dalaisons's obverse type D 143, and the reverse die is as well, Dalaison's R 177. The latter was recorded only for Septimius Severus, yet.

The obverse legend is  PO CEPTIMI GETAS, and, at ex.: KECARA (retrograde), Dalaison describes the bust as: "Buste drapé et cuirassé à dr. Ètoile marquant la séparation entre la fin et le début de la légende. Légende inscrite entre deux couronnne de grènetis." Bust draped and cuirassed to the right. Star marking the separation between the end and the beginning of the legend. Legend inscribed between two crowns of beads.

So far it seems the obverse was only known for one of the typical pyre reverse dies (however, a die that is not otherwise recorded for Geta, only for Septimius Severus).

The reverse die of my coin is as mentioned recorded only for Septimius Severus, as well. And - it is recorded only for one piece in Berlin, at all, since it differs clearly from the other Athena reverses in which Athena has the shield in her right instead of her left.

So, that's all I found out. And I am quite happy .  Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Provincial Coins (Moderators: slokind, jmuona, tjaart)  |  Topic: Uncommon obverse on Geta Amasia coin « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop