Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Figurine head  (Read 805 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Figurine head
« on: March 10, 2021, 05:40:52 pm »
A second item I picked up for my antiquities collection is this small head.  It is 32.5mm high and weighs 26.2g.  Any idea what it was used for? or just decorative?  and also any idea if its an image of someone in particular (god) or just generic.   Thanks for any insight you can give me on this.   Really appreciate all your expertise.

It does have a flat back so I assume was mounted flat on something.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Figurine head
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 07:35:54 pm »
I agree that the flat open back implies it was affixed to something to decorate it.  Not sure what though.  Chest, casket, furniture, etc.

Nice provincial style.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:30:42 pm »
Thanks Shawn for the input.  Just curious why you say provincial style?  Anything in particular that jumps out or just years of study?  :)  Are there any good resources for items like this, or as I assume its too broad a focus area?  Thanks again

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 05:02:04 pm »
Roman sculpture, like Greek, was realistic.  This style, with large almond eyes, plain round hair, etc. is a provincial Roman style derived from Celtic art.

I don't know of any specific work on Roman figurines but you can find many in works on small Roman bronzes or is various archaeological reports.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity