Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Longest Wait  (Read 803 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
The Longest Wait
« on: February 26, 2021, 10:55:55 pm »
I ordered a coin from a dealer in Germany which was mailed on December 8th. It arrived yesterday! The tracking information never updated and, as far as I knew, it was still in Germany until it arrived in my mailbox. I just posted it to my gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-168517

Have others had horrendous waits like this?

Stkp

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: The Longest Wait
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 11:16:19 pm »
I just received a coin that shipped from Spain in early January, so yes, shipping from Europe to North America is anything but speedy right now.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:54:50 pm »
I'd say it was worth the wait

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 03:49:29 am »
My longest wait was 3 months... two coins from France, but that was more not so much due to tha mail as it was dealer incompetence . Frustration was very high, but in the end I got my coins, so I guess all is well.

~ Peter

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:44:08 am »
Believe me, ancient coins are well worth the wait! The lengthy delays caused by the pandemic and incompetent mail deliverers shouldn’t put us off. I live all the way in Britain and have to order coins overseas or wait until they become available over here. I’m heavily dependent on the US market in ancient coins. I have to acknowledge whether I like it or not that the US has a much bigger market in numismatic and ancient coins than Britain. Americans, of course, find themselves in exactly the same predicament when ordering coins from overseas.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:44:46 am »
I have had three orders take three months.  Two were from China, so no real surprise.  Looking at tracking times it appears that the entire mail shipment was left in quarantine at a Canadian airport for two weeks before going to customs.  Then the Canada customs and post backlog.  The China side was actually not that delayed.

My other one was a shipment from California that sat for over 80 days in a sorting facility in LA.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 06:56:39 pm »
not a coin, but I currently have a camera lens stuck in Montreal.  Hasn't budged in over a month, and was just being shipped within Canada.  I live 1.5 hours away from Montreal in Ottawa, but no dice. 

What can I say? The postal system is basically snarled in some places.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 06:18:42 pm »
I won a coin at a a German auction house in the first week of November and finally received it in mid-February.  Both the auction house and I had given up on the coin, and I was about to be reimbursed when it showed up.  Tracking was to no avail.  Both the German Post and our USPS  knew nothing of the whereabouts of the package. The kindest explanation is that Covid and the year end holiday traffic overwhelmed all postal capacities.  But I have had a multi-coin shipment disappear in New York customs.  USPS told me the package had been shipped to Singapore by mistake after they denied any knowledge for weeks.
We should breed letter pigeons again!

Schatz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity