Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

In choosing a coin to purchase what’s important to you?  Mulitple choices OK.

Price
19 (15.2%)
Grade
10 (8%)
Luster
0 (0%)
Corrosion free
9 (7.2%)
Unusual type
4 (3.2%)
Well centered
10 (8%)
Flan condition
6 (4.8%)
Coin weight
5 (4%)
Coin diameter
3 (2.4%)
Coin age
2 (1.6%)
Depicted history
5 (4%)
Desert “patina” appearance
1 (0.8%)
Conventional patina
1 (0.8%)
Rarity
9 (7.2%)
Missing from collection
20 (16%)
Hammer strike depth
3 (2.4%)
Countermarks
0 (0%)
Overall eye appeal
18 (14.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll - What coin characteristics do you look for when purchasing?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Ancient coins may be small but they pack a lot of different characteristics.  You probably have more requirements than you think.  Tell us what they are

What is it that you look for in choosing a coin to purchase?

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Poll - What coin characteristics do you look for when purchasing?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:42:57 am »
You've left out "provenance" which is a very important requirement for many collectors (me included)..

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:10:58 am »
Not so much "missing from collection" as "missing from want list". I'm generally looking for specific coins for a reason - not just because I don't have them.

I will also opportunistically buy coins not on my must-have list if they add something to my collection (meant to be a coherent whole, not just a bunch of coins).

Condition is a big factor - all design elements (aka "devices") need to be complete, and I *really* dislike fake patina - not just added desert patina, but all those look-alike grey-brown LRBs that some of the major auction houses are increasingly selling. I'd prefer an honest coin with encrustations as long as they don't obscure anything important.

Ben

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:19:24 am »
Price is #1 for me, followed by missing from the collection. I also look at weight depending on the type.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:42:57 pm »
For me, it's a combination of the above. It has to:

-fit my collecting theme
-be a coin I don't yet have, or a significant upgrade in condition
-be available
-be within my budget
-be a style I want ahead of all the other coins meeting the above criteria.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:34:47 pm »
I have a special collecting area, the coins of Nicopolis ad Istrum. And I only buy coins from Nicopolis ad Istrum and only if they are not yet known. This criterion is not listed here.

Best regards

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 06:46:25 am »

Whether buying, or the result of my cleaning, overall eye appeal and being fully attributable are most important to me.  I’m not saying that all devices, legends, or marks must be visible, but they must be visible or irrefutably deducible for the coin to be fully attributable, imho. Beyond that, the more relatable the design is to particular historical events is a preference of mine.
Ken

Offline David Fischer

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 11:37:08 am »
I have always loved ancient history, and I thought I wanted to collect ancient coins primarily because their historical significance, but it has become apparent to me as my collection has progressed that I am really interested in ancient coins primarily as objects of art first and as objects of history second. I can still geek out over the history and the rarity and all of those other attributes, but if the coin doesn't speak to me aesthetically first I'm simply not interested in it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity