Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 8 March!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 8 March!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Weights and Scales (Moderator: wileyc)  |  Topic: A help for letters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A help for letters  (Read 82 times)
Nikos P2
Consul

« on: February 20, 2021, 02:34:46 pm »

Can you explain to me what the letters mean?
Ν
Γ
Β 
G
I
On the weights
Nikos P2
Consul

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 02:35:54 pm »

Can you explain to me what the letters mean?
Ν
Γ
Β 
G
I
On the weights

Γ.Β
Γ.Γ
JBF
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 12:22:28 pm »

Look up Milesian standard, and acrophontic (acrophantic??) for different ways of counting used in antiquity.
glebe
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:32:29 pm »

Usually N means nomisma (1/6 ounce), Γ.Β means 2 ounces & Γ.Γ means 3 ounces (the first Γ meaning ounce in this context).

Ross G.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Weights and Scales (Moderator: wileyc)  |  Topic: A help for letters « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop