Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Emperor Constantine IX Monomachus?  (Read 413 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine Seal of Emperor Constantine IX Monomachus?
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:01:28 pm »
I acquired an interesting Imperial seal.  It measures approximately 31.72 mm and weighs 23 g.

On the obverse is facing bust of Christ Pantocrator

On the reverse is : Bust of a bearded emperor. He is holding a long cross? scepter in the right hand and a globus cruciger in the left.  There is ΤΟC visible to the right of the bust.

After looking at several examples in the DOC and other place, I believe that this is a seal of Emperor Constantine IX Monomachus. Below my seal, I have shown an better preserved example.  What is your opinion?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity