Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Oil Lamps  |  Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head?  (Read 69 times)
pogh_poor
Caesar

I love this forum!

« on: February 15, 2021, 07:25:13 pm »

I acquired an interesting oil lamp today from an estate.  It measures approximately 8 centimeters by 6 centimeters.  It is  decorated with a winged creature which looks to me to have a human body and a bird's head.  Any help with identifying this lamp and the creature would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor

* IMG_2082.jpg (606.41 KB, 1460x1947 - viewed 9 times.)

* IMG_2081.jpg (633.21 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 6 times.)

* IMG_2083.jpg (372.51 KB, 1136x1388 - viewed 4 times.)

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.
otlichnik
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:30:17 pm »

I hope the experts weigh in, but I am afraid that I find the style and "patina" worrying.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)
Jay GT4
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Leave the gun, take the Canoli!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 03:44:24 pm »

I have to agree, it looks "off" to me as well.  Any evidence of discoloration on the spout from being lit?

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=18312

IG: @artisan.flooring
J. Grande
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Antiquities  |  Oil Lamps  |  Topic: Interesting Oil Lamp with a Winged Creature with a human body and a bird's head? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop