Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stash of more than 600 Roman-era silver coins discovered in Turkey  (Read 650 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Stash of more than 600 Roman-era silver coins discovered in Turkey
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 11:23:06 pm »
Very cool. Wonder where specifically they were found. I spent time in Turkey back in the late 70s/early 80s in the US Army. Took my wife there in 2012. I knew better than to go to Turkey in summer, but the date of the trip couldn't be avoided. We rented a car and drove around. We knew Selcuk and Ephesos would be overrun with cruise ship buses (back in the late 70s, me and my buddies were the only ones there that day and could go anywhere and do anything). So, I researched hidden gems of places to go off the beaten path and far enough away from cruise ship buses. Aizanoi (in a town whose name I cannot pronounce or spell) was one of them, we stayed in a hotel there a day on the way from Istanbul to Selcuk. We were the only tourists and it was wonderful. It was a place I could spend lots of time for multiple reasons.

Long story short, we went to Selcuk and I took my wife to Ephesos. On advice from locals, we arrived 30 minutes before it opened and were first in. When we left, the parking lot was full and it was insanely crowded. We totally rearranged our itinerary because the crowds just ruin it. Went inland to the huge lake region and then returned to Aizanoi. Skipped all the tourist areas and had a great time. Aizanoi, they claimed, had the first stock exchange. Remains of a Temple to Artemis and a temple of Cybele on a hill. A Roman city with Temple of Zeus and amphitheater. Amazing. And we were the only tourists. Just like the old days.

Virgil

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:40:40 am »
From what I can see there are many silver coins of the young Augustus, denarius and cistophoric with some in great condition.  Thanks for sharing
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:03:11 pm »
Some beautiful condition coins in that hoard.  They seem to retain the surface dirt, but not a lot is present - I suspect they were found in an enclosure like a clay pot that was largely intact - perhaps the one in the museum display?  In any event, much nicer condition than many dug examples.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity