Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine Seal of Ioannes Anthypatos? 23.11 mm 8.18 g 7th Century?  (Read 991 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I have acquired a nice addition to my collection of Ioannes/John seals.  It measures 23.11 mm and weighs 8.18 g. 

On the obverse, there is a block monogram which I believe solves

ΙΩΑΝΝΟΥ

On the reverse, there is

:Greek_Alpha:  :Greek_Nu:  :Greek_Theta_2:
 :Greek_Upsilon:  :Greek_Pi_3:  :Greek_Alpha:
 :Greek_Tau:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Upsilon:

All within a beaded ring

So I believe that the seal is of Ioannes anthýpatos.  Am I correct?  Is the dating of the 7th Century?  When did the use of block monograms disappear? 
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Byzantine Seal of Ioannes Anthypatos? 23.11 mm 8.18 g 7th Century?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 03:23:08 am »
Yes, John anthypatos, which is what the Romans called a proconsul. In early Byzantine times, these men were provincial governors like the Roman proconsuls were. I think the seal has wreath borders, not pearled borders. Block monograms disappear over the 7th century, so yes, your seal must date from about then.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine Seal of Ioannes Anthypatos? 23.11 mm 8.18 g 7th Century?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:49:55 am »
Thank you Gert.

You are right about the seal having wreath borders. Pogh_poor 

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity