Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Asking for advice about specific coins on auction site  (Read 786 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Asking for advice about specific coins on auction site
« on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:43 am »
So, is it permissible to post photos from a well known auction site here and get advice about whether a particular coin appears genuine?

Ken

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Asking for advice about specific coins on auction site
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 02:07:30 am »
Hello,

In general the board only discusses suspected fakes.

If you have (good) reason to suspect the coin, I would think it's acceptable. If you're just asking if it's authentic... maybe not.

You may like to read the rules here. They're pinned at the top of this board. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80768.0

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:50:27 am »
And you can't vet potential purchases.
  Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:31:17 am »
Thanks for the responses. I did read the rules but they are somewhat ambiguous. The first rule seems to be eroded by some of the later rules. I did check the fake coin reports and the nfsl. The seller appears to be on the list, but has a good feedback record (not100% though) and it seems doubtful all of his many listings are fake.  I appreciate FORVM being here and the community of members and that is why I asked before posting the coin. Thanks again.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 12:27:12 pm »
Unfortunately nearly every fake-seller has a 100% (or near) feedback.
People, who know the fakes, don't buy with him.
Customers, who leave a positive feedback, just don't know that they bought fakes.

Unless you know your coins very well - buy with trustworthy professional dealers

Regards
Klaus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:35 pm »
Sellers on the NFSL are not people who make a few mistakes and accidentally sell a fake now and then. NFSL abbreviates NOTORIOUS FAKE SELLER LIST. The people listed know they are selling fakes and do so to make money. They are criminals. Do not buy from them. Assume everything they sell is fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity