Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Checkout includes a layaway option. All items in our shop are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt  (Read 995 times)
ingolf
Legionary

I love this forum!

« on: August 21, 2004, 01:17:44 pm »

Hi

I was just browsing Forvm Ancient coins that are for sale. And I noticed:

"6869. Silver tetradrachm, BMC-, SNG Cop -, gVF, Salamis, Cyprus, 13.87g, 26.2mm, 40o, 177-176 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Ptolemy I right wearing aegis; reverse PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, owl in left field, LE (regnal year 5) over SA (Salamis mint, Cyprus) in right field; superb portrait, fantastic style, extremely rare, possibly unique; $2000.00 ON RESERVE"

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

However, I thought I have seen something similar
so I browsed Svoronos and found this:
http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc045p001p.html

Nr 3 is most similar, however, the portrait seems to be an older one. However, I think it is a variant.
What do you think ?

Best regards
Ingolf

ps. just a curiosity, Svoronos thought that th coin was worth 30 franc (1904)
Salem Alshdaifat
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:11:53 pm »

still forums coin after those information A unique , to be similer dosent mean to be for  the same king or the same year, so i didnt know what your quastion about?Huh
salem

ingolf
Legionary

I love this forum!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 04:56:23 pm »

true
but then any coin can be unique.

I am just saying that the ptolemaic coin might be an variant of the one pictured in the svoronos.
That might be a help towards potential buyers

ingolf
Salem Alshdaifat
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 09:29:47 pm »

i think it could be avreint if it is for the same ptolemy ,but the one in the link is ptolemy V ,and forums is Ptolemy VI ,so it is not a varreint of what is in the link, and it is hard to say any ptolemy might be unique because they are mostly reported .
salem

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderators: Dino, Taras)  |  Topic: unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop