Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt  (Read 1566 times)

ingolf

unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:17:44 pm »
Hi

I was just browsing Forvm Ancient coins that are for sale. And I noticed:

"6869. Silver tetradrachm, BMC-, SNG Cop -, gVF, Salamis, Cyprus, 13.87g, 26.2mm, 40o, 177-176 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Ptolemy I right wearing aegis; reverse PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, owl in left field, LE (regnal year 5) over SA (Salamis mint, Cyprus) in right field; superb portrait, fantastic style, extremely rare, possibly unique; $2000.00 ON RESERVE"

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

However, I thought I have seen something similar
so I browsed Svoronos and found this:
http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc045p001p.html

Nr 3 is most similar, however, the portrait seems to be an older one. However, I think it is a variant.
What do you think ?

Best regards
Ingolf

ps. just a curiosity, Svoronos thought that th coin was worth 30 franc (1904)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re:unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 04:11:53 pm »
still forums coin after those information A unique , to be similer dosent mean to be for  the same king or the same year, so i didnt know what your quastion about????
salem

ingolf

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 06:56:23 pm »
true
but then any coin can be unique.

I am just saying that the ptolemaic coin might be an variant of the one pictured in the svoronos.
That might be a help towards potential buyers

ingolf

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 11:29:47 pm »
i think it could be avreint if it is for the same ptolemy ,but the one in the link is ptolemy V ,and forums is Ptolemy VI ,so it is not a varreint of what is in the link, and it is hard to say any ptolemy might be unique because they are mostly reported .
salem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity