Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt  (Read 1560 times)

ingolf

unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt
« on: August 21, 2004, 03:17:44 pm »
Hi

I was just browsing Forvm Ancient coins that are for sale. And I noticed:

"6869. Silver tetradrachm, BMC-, SNG Cop -, gVF, Salamis, Cyprus, 13.87g, 26.2mm, 40o, 177-176 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Ptolemy I right wearing aegis; reverse PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, owl in left field, LE (regnal year 5) over SA (Salamis mint, Cyprus) in right field; superb portrait, fantastic style, extremely rare, possibly unique; $2000.00 ON RESERVE"

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

However, I thought I have seen something similar
so I browsed Svoronos and found this:
http://www.coin.com//images/dr/svoronos/svc045p001p.html

Nr 3 is most similar, however, the portrait seems to be an older one. However, I think it is a variant.
What do you think ?

Best regards
Ingolf

ps. just a curiosity, Svoronos thought that th coin was worth 30 franc (1904)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
Re:unique Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 04:11:53 pm »
still forums coin after those information A unique , to be similer dosent mean to be for  the same king or the same year, so i didnt know what your quastion about????
salem

ingolf

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 06:56:23 pm »
true
but then any coin can be unique.

I am just saying that the ptolemaic coin might be an variant of the one pictured in the svoronos.
That might be a help towards potential buyers

ingolf

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 11:29:47 pm »
i think it could be avreint if it is for the same ptolemy ,but the one in the link is ptolemy V ,and forums is Ptolemy VI ,so it is not a varreint of what is in the link, and it is hard to say any ptolemy might be unique because they are mostly reported .
salem

All coins are guaranteed for eternity