Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian IVDAEA CAPTA Sestertius, rare variant  (Read 1121 times)

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Vespasian IVDAEA CAPTA Sestertius, rare variant
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:08:50 pm »
Hello everyone.

As many collectors know, the sestertius showing Vespasian as conqueror of Judea is quite common.

In fact, more than 160 examples can be found in the ACSearch database.

However, there is a variant described in RIC 2.1 at Note 49 on page 71: "On some dies Judaea is seated on a cuirass, and on one recorded die is also surrounded by arms".

The reverse of this coin is from that very die (same as Paris 497) and just one other example is listed in the ACSearch database.

I've been excited to add it to my collection and I'm very pleased to share it here.

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-167853

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Vespasian IVDAEA CAPTA Sestertius, rare variant
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 12:39:14 pm »
Nice find Alberto!  I must admit I went back to check my own!  :)

Offline hayastani

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:50 pm »
Last week the RIC-unlisted PAX AVGVSTI Vespasianus, and now this one. Nice going  +++

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 04:05:19 am »
Thanks guys for your kind comments!

Alberto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity