Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Vote For Our Member Of The Year Now!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hoping For A Fantastic 2021 For You And Yours!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Very strange coins of Gordian I Dominic T and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Very strange coins of Gordian I  (Read 266 times)
Flav V
Consul

« on: January 13, 2021, 02:13:02 am »

Hello,

Im maybe to much suspicious on some coins, but for me, the 4rth is obvious fake. For other coins: the 3rd look to me not in real silver. For the frist and second coin they share the same dies, similar 80% form of blank, centering.. the same light around the portraiture, same spot around letters ANV on the obverse (this can be a spot on riginal die wich print it then). This is more clear when you open it in two windows and switch fast the coins.. same light, spots.. What do you think about it?
i let the photos in order of the message description.

Flav V
Consul

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:14:48 am »

I add about 4rth coin: not in real silver, look mold (letters linked by metal too), small black holes.

Flav V
Consul

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:11:09 am »

No one?

Anaximander
Consul

Anaximander

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:43:59 am »

This one's a challenge.

What we know: Gordian I denarii are rare and expensive, so there's potential for a modern forgery.
What we don't know: Weight, size, provenance, edge detail...
Do you have all of these in hand? None of them?

If there are modern forgeries in the group, they're likely to be very good ones. None stand out to me to be obvious fakes, at this distance, but I don't know enough now, and may never know enough to be certain.

Chris “Anaximander” Thomsen. Member Since 2019.
My ForumAncientCoins gallery
Flav V
Consul

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:23:28 pm »

The first coin is 21.00 mm for 3.40 grs, the second is 3.26 grs, no syze found. The third: 19.00 mm for 2.67 grs. The foruth is 2.97 grs, no syze found.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers (Moderators: maridvnvm, Ilya Prokopov)  |  Topic: Very strange coins of Gordian I « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop