Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very strange coins of Gordian I  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Very strange coins of Gordian I
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:13:02 am »
Hello,

Im maybe to much suspicious on some coins, but for me, the 4rth is obvious fake. For other coins: the 3rd look to me not in real silver. For the frist and second coin they share the same dies, similar 80% form of blank, centering.. the same light around the portraiture, same spot around letters ANV on the obverse (this can be a spot on riginal die wich print it then). This is more clear when you open it in two windows and switch fast the coins.. same light, spots.. What do you think about it?
i let the photos in order of the message description.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Re: Very strange coins of Gordian I
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 04:14:48 am »
I add about 4rth coin: not in real silver, look mold (letters linked by metal too), small black holes.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 04:11:09 am »
No one?

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 07:43:59 am »
This one's a challenge.

What we know: Gordian I denarii are rare and expensive, so there's potential for a modern forgery.
What we don't know: Weight, size, provenance, edge detail...
Do you have all of these in hand? None of them?

If there are modern forgeries in the group, they're likely to be very good ones. None stand out to me to be obvious fakes, at this distance, but I don't know enough now, and may never know enough to be certain.

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 01:23:28 am »
The first coin is 21.00 mm for 3.40 grs, the second is 3.26 grs, no syze found. The third: 19.00 mm for 2.67 grs. The foruth is 2.97 grs, no syze found.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 12:36:11 pm »
I see nothing obviously fake about any of them. Did you check the fake coin reports for matches?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 12:39:43 pm »
I check the forum everytime  ;), Jean Marc doyen say the two first are genuine and agree with me the third is highy probably a fake and the 4rth is undoubtly fake.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 12:56:28 pm »
Do you have larger photos? Those are too small.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:35 pm »
No. 4 is a die match to this transfer fake, but of course also to the real host:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-18834

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 01:03:34 pm »
Nice find shanxi, here ar the biggest photos i have.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 02:12:01 pm »
If we are going to condemn coins we should be able to describe the indications that the coins is a forgery.  And we should also be able to say how we think it was made.

I believe they are both die matched to genuine coins? That means they are either cast from a mold made with a genuine coin or struck with transfer dies made with a genuine coin.

I suspect coin 3 might be cast. It may have some very tiny pearls and pits. The fields may be a little wavy. If it is cast, it is a very well done cast. I would like to see it in hand or find some others from the molds to before condemning it.

Coin 4 is a type for which we now know transfer dies exist, the reverse is a bit mushy, the dot borders are bad. It looks similar to the known fake. I agree it is almost certainly fake.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 04:27:03 am »
I found:
First coin genuine, sold in 2018.
Second coin fake mold, sold in 2020.

Some elements appearing on the fake coin are not visible on the model: wing of Victoria, upper bar of the letter E: NAE of AETERNAE.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity