Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help - Two Arados coins, but are they both real?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Alex M1

• Legionary
ID Help - Two Arados coins, but are they both real?
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:13:20 pm »
Hello all,

I've bought both of the coins in the pic recently which I believe most resemble BMC 123:

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/phoenicia/arados/i.html

The bottom one looks like most of the ones you see for sale online and looks legit to me.  The top one, though, I'm not sure about because while it is about the right size and weight (3.9g), it is smooth and has the feel of a modern copper coin. 

Do you feel the top coin might be fake, and if so, how can I confirm that it is?  Or does it seem like a real Arados coin to you?

Alex

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: ID Help - Two Arados coins, but are they both real?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:46:17 am »
The top coin appears to have been over cleaned and looks genuine to me, traces of patina can still be ascertained on both sides of your coin. Throughout the years of collecting Arados coins I have never come across a fake of this type.

Hard to tell the exact date of coin 1 but there are enough details to place it around 117 or 143/142 B.C, nun and aleph above prow.

https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/ar-no-ztr-117n12-c-nx/

I can't make out all of the era date on coin 2 but I would suggest that this coin is slightly older.

Martin

Offline Alex M1

• Legionary
Re: ID Help - Two Arados coins, but are they both real?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 03:25:27 pm »
Thanks a lot for your opinions on these coins, Martin.  That website is a a big help, too.

Alex

The top coin appears to have been over cleaned and looks genuine to me, traces of patina can still be ascertained on both sides of your coin. Throughout the years of collecting Arados coins I have never come across a fake of this type.

Hard to tell the exact date of coin 1 but there are enough details to place it around 117 or 143/142 B.C, nun and aleph above prow.

https://phoeniciancoins.wordpress.com/2016/07/08/ar-no-ztr-117n12-c-nx/

I can't make out all of the era date on coin 2 but I would suggest that this coin is slightly older.

Martin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity