Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallienus Mule ?  (Read 523 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Gallienus Mule ?
« on: January 07, 2021, 08:03:22 pm »
As opener, I use Sear as my reference source. I've had a Gallienus in my collection for several years. It is an Oriens holding globe, and I had it tagged as a bread-and-butter Sear 10296, but in looking at it recently, the obverse legend does not match. Rather than ending with AVG, it ends as AVGGM. The only ant I've found in Sear with this ending is 10304, with a PAX reverse. Is this coin simply a variant not listed in Sear or is it a mule? Thanks much for any info.
Best,
Larry

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Gallienus Mule ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 08:47:33 pm »
Looks like Göbl 141i, a variety unknown to him, if you can confirm obv. legend IMP GALLIENVS P F AVG GM, not entirely clear in your photo.

The closest Göbl has is his 141k, 2 spec. in his photofile, which has both wreath ties hanging in the air, not one intersecting the bust as on your coin.
Curtis Clay

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: Gallienus Mule ?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 07:54:07 pm »
Thank you very much. I have attached a fresh photo that I hope is clearer. A lot of the obverse legend is off flan, but the AVG GM should show up in the photo. Even the reverse legend (from what I can read) seems a bit off. Just judging by the portrait, I have to go with Gallienus, but beyond that I'm somewhat at a loss.
Best,
Larry

All coins are guaranteed for eternity