Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous follis  (Read 1070 times)

Magistros

Anonymous follis
« on: December 26, 2020, 08:16:39 am »
Hi,

Is this Anonymous Follis Class K (SB 1901)?

Thanks

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Anonymous follis
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 05:02:21 pm »
Yes, I agree Class k.

cw

Magistros

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:38:17 pm »
Thank you! Are these coins normally clipped in this way? It is almost square shaped.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:01:52 am »
I have not seen clipped but normally messy with understrikes. To make matters worse you will find many overstruck  by Alexius  Tetartera.

Here is a tetarteron that also depicts the Virgin, the remains of the K class follis are the balls around the image. One coin in particular SBCV-1910 does not exist, its is a tetarteron overstruck on a K class follis.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 11:51:45 am »
Is it clipped or was it struck on a flan cut from an older and larger coin?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Magistros

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
I have not seen clipped but normally messy with understrikes. To make matters worse you will find many overstruck  by Alexius  Tetartera.

Here is a tetarteron that also depicts the Virgin, the remains of the K class follis are the balls around the image. One coin in particular SBCV-1910 does not exist, its is a tetarteron overstruck on a K class follis.

Thanks Simon very interesting

Magistros

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 03:04:33 pm »

SC

It looks like it has been clipped

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »

SC

I think it was struck on a strange flan but I am just speculating. Normally when discussing clipped coinage we are talking about a government mandate and action to clip the coins, that does not include someone vandalizing  the coin by shaving it or in this case reshaping it. Who knows where a coin traveled or what someone did to them to pass the time.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 04:55:27 pm »
I am not so sure it was clipped after striking.  If you put it on a piece of paper and draw out the remainder of the circle it appears that the design is only centered on the bits that remain - it is not centered on the circular part.  If I am right about this then that means it was struck on the odd shaped flan - which was cut down to size from an early larger coins.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Magistros

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 05:30:25 am »
I think you are right that it was struck on this flan, but I cannot see any traces of it being struck on an earlier coin. The flan is also quite thin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity