Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imperial Legitimation (The Golden Age)  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Imperial Legitimation (The Golden Age)
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:28:34 pm »
Just received this new book published by Spink.

I'll follow up with a brief review once I've read it.

Seems to be a great bargain for a numismatic book $40 6x9.5" hardcover with 192 pages and 171 color illustrations.

Available via Amazon (I had this on pre-order, and just received it today).

Ben

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Imperial Legitimation (The Golden Age)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 02:52:35 pm »
Wow.  Looks great.  I did not see any announcement from Spink about this one.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 06:47:25 pm »
Rather irritated as my copy has been on order with Amazon for three months now , sadly. Looking forward to getting my copy. They say early new year now.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 08:11:43 pm »
I'm (ex. UK) in the USA, so maybe that's the difference. Probably less demand over here.

Ben

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 09:56:16 pm »
I was unaware of the book and just ordered my copy. It is now discounted below the list price of $40.00.

If it is any consolation (misery loves company) I am still waiting for my copy of Josef Kiss's new book on medieval Hungarian coinage. It is now three months ...

Stkp

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 11:38:16 am »
I wanted to enjoy this book more than I actually did.

The main focus of the book is the saecular games, with each games (and preceding rituals) celebrating/initiating a new saeculum (cyclical era) and thus claiming a return to a renewed Golden Age. A secondary theme is cyclical renewal in general, since by the end of the book the focus has switched from the 100/110 year saeculum to the phoenix as a symbol of renewal, with it's own 540+ year cycle.

Barker's title of "imperial legitimation" is only lightly touched upon, and refers to his theory that emperors were utilizing saecular celebrations and golden age themes of renewal as a form of self-legitimation, especially in cases where the traditional legitimacy of dynastic succession was lacking. The precise nature of "legitimation" conferred by these celebrations and golden age references isn't really spelt out - presumably an assumption of authority by initiating and presiding over such important rituals, as well as wanting to be seen as a force for renewal and success.

The strongest parts of the book are the introduction, coverage of the saecular coinage of Septimius Severus and Philip I, and a later "case study" on the interesting coinage of Carausius with it's repeated Virgilian references. There is also an interesting "imagined eye witness account" description of the Severan Ludi Saeculares which seeems to do a good job of weaving together recorded facts with some invented narrative.

The main weakness of the book is that it isn't really a book at all.. Barker says it was "developed from" his Master's thesis, but there doesn't seem to have been a whole lot of development done, resulting in a book that comes across as uneven and poorly structured. Parts of the book, such as chapter 4 on the "SAECVLI FELICITAS" coin type appear more like padding, and are endlessly repetitive, offering little more than an assembly of types. Throughout there are excessively repetitive claims of coins reflecting a "new golden age via cyclical time". I suspect Barker would see a donut as a Virgilian reference, since he even claims the layout of the Circus Maximus (being a circular racetrack) "may have represented the nature of cyclical time and the saeculum itself".

The book is extensively footnoted, but to me these seem to add little value, and are more a reflection of it's Master's basis, and an attempt to sprinkle on some academic rigor. Often Barker will throw out some quoted opinion, maybe important to his thesis, with zero supporting discussion or evidence other than a footnoted reference.

All told, a bit of a disappointing book. The subject matter is compelling, and at $40 you are probably getting enough value from the good bits (incl. many color coin illustrations) to outweigh the bad, but it really could have been improved with some more thematic development and overview, and better editing.

I'd be curious to hear the opinions of others who read it.

Ben

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 07:59:40 am »
Ben, I might not have dashed out to order the book upon learning of its existence if your review had been posted sooner. As they say, haste makes waste. Stkp

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 09:08:45 am »
Hopefully you still get something out of it, Stkp.

Maybe $40 for a few hours diversion is as good as it gets in 2020!

Edit: After doing a bit of searching it seems this theme of "legitimation" via celebration of the ludi saeculares certainly predates Barker's thesis (which was published in 2016).

There's this book by Jussi Rantala from 2017 focused specifically on the Severan games, whose introduction says:

https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/ludi-saeculares-septimius-severus-jussi-rantala/10.4324/9781315266534

The often idealised era of Roman history, eventually came to a halt with Marcus Aurelius' death. Eventually, Septimius Severus, commander of the Pannonian legions, rose to power by crushing both of his main opponents: Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus. This study concentrates on one of the main events of Septimius Severus' reign, the Ludi Saeculares of ce 204. The imperial Ludi Saeculares were traditionally considered as a celebration marking a transition from an old period to a new, superior, Golden Age. Another important concept connected to the ludi is the question of power. As a result, the Ludi Saeculares, consisting of a unique and grandiose event, was for the emperor an excellent chance to manifest his power and legitimise his rule. Taking these aspects into consideration, the Ludi Saeculares are seen in this study as a point zero, a starting point for the community and the beginning of a Golden Age which defined the nature and identity of the communitas.

The author, Rantala, also has an academia.edu page which mentions his earlier 2013 thesis on the same subject, which is available online.

https://independent.academia.edu/JRantala

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.977.9982&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Barker ("imperial legitimation") was evidentially aware of Rantala, at least in 2020, since he cites a different 2009 work of his, but doesn't mention this 2013 thesis.

Ben

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 07:25:35 pm »
Ben,
Having just received this text, I can’t offer a well informed review.  However, I am guessing you were looking for something more comprehensive and/or academically oriented.  I have been enjoying ‘Coining images of power” below.  Not nearly as well illustrated as the Barker monograph, but much more informative.
Best,
Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity