Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE 18 - bull on both sides?  (Read 342 times)

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
AE 18 - bull on both sides?
« on: December 19, 2020, 07:45:48 am »
Hi. I am having trouble to identify this one. Came as "Greek coin", no other details.
5g, 18mm
Would greatly appreciate your help
Thanks

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: AE 18 - bull on both sides?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:43 pm »
Hi carp,

The animal in the first photo may be a boar.

I don't recognize the specific type, but many Greek coins minted in Spain depict bulls and boars.

Also, it isn't clear, but that may be a Punic legend above the "boar". The condition is so poor that I can't be certain.

Meepzorp

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: AE 18 - bull on both sides?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 02:46:55 pm »
Thanks, Meepzorp

Following your lead, I've reached Sicily, with coins from Panormus and Gela which have resemblance with mine, but I still could not find a clear match.

The one listed as "Lindgren 459" for Gela on Wildwinds (here https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/sicily/gela/t.html ) seems to have my exact bull.

Might I be on the right track?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity